• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on twinstar light intensity

Amax689

Hey, I'm running a twinstar 600s over a 90L Iwagumi with CO2 and ADA ferts. Tank is 2 weeks old. My carpeting plant is Glosso and I have the light at 100% intensity for 7.5 hours a day. 60% water change every other day. Getting my initial bloom of diatoms. Does anyone have any advice with the Twinstar on intensity? I know Glosso needs some light and with the light being on for only 7.5 hours I feel like the 100% is justified. Concerned I might be over cooking it, but maybe I need to hold my nerve over the diatoms.

I don’t have experience with twin star lights (I use chihiros) but it’s my understanding that the Ada method is medium light, lean ferts, well circulated co2 and rich substrate.

I would say especially if your tank is new with mostly carpeting plants you don’t want to jack the light up all at once. I would start at 60 percent depending on the intensity of the model you have and move up from there depending on how plants are responding. Iwagumi in particular can be a balancing act due to low density of plants and significant amounts of hardscape …. High light will make algae more likely in the beginning before plants can establish themselves fully.

Which version do you have? I have a version II and I like to start at 50% the first week, and go up 10% each week. Currently I run my lights at 80% and then an hour of the day at 100%.
266F0882-B8B5-4442-A272-D1632DAD5693.jpeg

Back