• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AI Should we be worried?

PARAGUAY

As the title ,there are some good things also some bad or unknown and the science on the future of it is divided

I mean I'm less concerned by it than I am about nuclear war, climate change, future pandemics. But there are going to be challenges associated with it. Feels like a mix of real issues and hype.

I think AI is and could have huge benefits for medical science ,diagnosis etc and actually help with problem solving in areas like climate change, as examples. But it's a Big unknown in the wrong hands think robot like Five Alive but the opening scene in Robocop is more what could happen, then there's the scenario of mass unemployment,and it's effect (think what Margaret Thatcher policies did to whole community s in the 1980s). And criminals will watch carefully at driverless cars
Music ,most of today's music comes out of a box anyway so AI generated music will lead to" is that
really my favourite act or is AI." The days of a few lads learning to play their drums, guitars in a bedroom ,garage could be gone forever ,these days their chances of making it are slim anyway.
AI is in the hands of politicans so democracy could be at risk? Would you fly to your favourite resort in a pilotless aircraft?

I think it's a legitimate concern and there's a lot of great articles and podcasts out there on it. But for my own sanity I make a conscious effort to avoid anyone taking a too alarmist approach.

"Concerns about AI should be approached with a balanced perspective. While AI offers great potential benefits, it's crucial to address ethical considerations, privacy issues, and potential misuse to ensure responsible development and deployment. Vigilance and ethical guidelines are essential in shaping a positive impact." (ChatGpt)

Personally I agree with previous comments but can't say I'm a fan of it, especially if like automation it impacts the workplace (jobs).

You'll get out what you put in (information sources), so unless it's given free reign I'm not sure how much 'Intelligence' or free thinking you will get out of it as opposed to a computer just reinforcing the current narrative of the time/place.

In the right hands used for longer term good I could see benefit, however if you think AI can persuade governments of the right thing to do when people themselves can't, I fear you'd be mistaken.

Guys, they’re just massive neural networks. They aren’t about to go all skynet on us.

AI like, I dunno, human ai, is not even in existence and the jump from neural nets to that could be simple or hundreds of years away.

As for my thoughts on AI, I cannot wait for it to take all of our jobs so I can do the gardening and design hot air balloons capable of space flight. Eventually, through a lot of social revolution, a universal income will come into existence and AI will, well, flip burgers and stack shelves, for a start.

Anyway, that’s my guess 👌

Hi all,
As for my thoughts on AI, I cannot wait for it to take all of our jobs so I can do the gardening and design hot air balloons capable of space flight. Eventually, through a lot of social revolution, a universal income will come into existence and AI will, well, flip burgers and stack shelves, for a start.
You just need some more black coffee (and a <"Frogbit song">) and your wish may come true.

Personally I'm holding out for "Marvin the Paranoid Android" (from <"Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy">) as my burger flipper.
........ The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline ......
cheers Darrel

I think AI is and could have huge benefits for medical science ,diagnosis etc and actually help with problem solving in areas like climate change, as examples. But it's a Big unknown in the wrong hands
I agree. It's potentially a great solution for what is currently wetware intensive semi slave labour - i.e. call centres, image analysis, pattern recognition and stuff like that. On the flip side, you get stuff like AI generated deepfakes.
but the opening scene in Robocop is more what could happen, then there's the scenario of mass unemployment,and it's effect (think what Margaret Thatcher policies did to whole community s in the 1980s).
Only if people are stupid enough to hard wire AI to military hardware. Oh.. wait a minute...

As for mass unemployment, a major point of AI should be to create a post scarcity economy in the first place, so unemployment would mean more time to do cool stuff rather than starve. Sadly, human nature being what is probably means it's just another way to generate more money for me, me, me....

Back