• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Akadama and loaches

chris1004

Hi,

Not sure whether to start this post here or in the fish sub heading but as its about a specific substrate thought here would be best.

I've mentioned before that this is my first foray into proper plant substrates. Previously I've only used gravel over a base of JBL proflora so I'm very inexperienced in dedicated plant substrates and any help would be appreciated.

4 days ago I changed my substrate to Akadama and I'm now looking at putting some fish back in. My main concern is that the Akadama appears to be quite 'dusty', i.e. if you touch it or move it a fine cloud is kicked up. I keep snails under control by having a group of Botia Striata's in there but I'm a little concerned that there activity over the Akadama will cause problems either by clouding the water or less likely to the fish themselves. I would be very interested in other Akadama users experience with bottom dwelling fish over this substrate. Am I worrying over a problem that at worst is only going to be temporary?

Regards, Chris.

I have corydoras in a tank with a topsoil substrate... The routing around does kick up a small cloud, but this quickly goes... May be to do with the biofilms that form on mature substrate and stick it together?

Hi,

Thanks guys for the reassurance, its just that my loaches are not the easiest of critters to catch and once in they will have to stay put hence my fear.

Regards, Chris.

Back