• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae ID please, plus a bit of advice

ADA

I got this after a massive CO2 malfunction killed all my stock and half my plants melted, tank had a full start from scratch, filter cleaned, good maintenance regime but it's come back and it grows fast. Kind of like fast growing brown hair algae but when it's out of the tank it's slimy. Tried everything but keeps re growing. Wonder if anyone has an idea, tried all the above, sprayed with excel, tried antibiotics but no luck. One idea I had was to drain it and do the DSM but still worried the algae will grow emmersed.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Picture.

14045654770_09778bf8fb_b.jpgimage by -hayleyyoung1984-

If you have a look here then you should be able to ID the algae and get a little advice too for getting rid of it.
Nomatter what algae type it is though, antibiotics won't ever kill it as they only act on bacteria!

I had what looks similar recently - both hairy looking and slimy at the same time and drifts off the catch around things when removing. I think I triggered it by swapping out my lights to two LEDs - obviously too much but it didn't go away when I dropped it down to one. I shortened my light period by a couple of hours, halved my ferts (as I'd started dosing more along with the lights and didn't know which was the issue) and manually removed it every couple of days (with a water change and rinsing filter pads after each go). It reduced over a couple of weeks and a couple of Otos and Amano shrimps have finished it off completely - don't seem to like the big strands but their poking/sucking stops it coming back after I've removed it.

Back