• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae iD

xandro007

26dedef6c04daa3fbe3b667115c8cfd3.jpg
7cd20f4150c257b80ca88ee76cba01ba.jpg
1e8175befe3b7de7c6933a07f0b5fd59.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Looks like green BBA

Which loves high light, high flow

Maybe the rock it's on is trapping the spores and the high light and high flow (?) is encouraging it to grow.

What are your light parameters (intensity/duration) and temperature? Do you have fluctuating temperature (for instance during water changes)?

Same here, i think it's Cladophora, probably sneaked in with plants and or fish.. That's how i got it.. This algae is sold attached to balls or lavarock.. Some LFS keep it in their tanks and even dare to lable it as moss balls.. :shifty::rolleyes:. Perfect for shrimp btw they love it.. Seems Amano shrimp turn blue if they eat it a lot.. At least lately i bought a batch of amano's and a few where blue.. Looked it it up and ended up with cladophora diet. :) Actualy this algae can look quite beatifull if kept in check at sertain places..

Ok but what is the cause of this algae and I think it's more like green beard algae

As Darrel says clado a Chlorophyta.. :) and there fore one of the hardest to get rid off. It likes all the things your plant like too. So getting totaly rid of it is nearly impossible without killing your plants as well. So actualy you have to adress it like a plant and keep buggin it till you got it under controll. Like weeding your garden.. ;) As Roy says spot treat it with peroxide, then it'll turn nasty grey after a few days then you'll know it is dead. Even then it's hard to brush off. If you are at a point where you think it looks OK again, get yourself an army of schrimps, they love it and eat it they already eat it without you seeing it. Keep inspecting your tank very closely and if you see it appear again jump on it immediately and do some about it. This is how you keep it at a minimum.. That's how you keep it at bay and leave the rest to the shrimps, if you are lucky and doing a good job you might not see it again.

It's all about husbandry and perseverance, if you wait with action till your back to the point your photo's are showing then you're persevering in growing it instead of doing something about it. :thumbup:

Because it can be nasty stuff if you have a lot of it in the tank.. :) I have it too, sh#t happens.. Only thing we can do is blow the horn roll up our sleeves and get to it. ;)
Everybody has algae in their tanks and everybody with a clean tank not showing this algae does something about it. Some say to tease us that they don't
, don't stare a blind eye on that, they are just teasing. :thumbup:

Hi all,
Can I assume the perched stone, at the top in the top photo, was how all the rock looked when you planted the tank?
I know I'm going to be in a minority, but I really like the way the "biofilm" looks in the first couple of photos. If it was still a really white limestone rock, surrounded by actively growing plants, it would just look wrong for me.
So getting totaly rid of it is nearly impossible without killing your plants as well.
It is going to be difficult, because as Marcel says green algae like the same conditions as the plants you want.

You can try shading it out

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I know I'm going to be in a minority, but I really like the way the "biofilm" looks in the first couple of photos. If it was still a really white limestone rock, surrounded by actively growing plants, it would just look wrong for me.

Same here i do not dislike the looks of it.. But that's a matter of taste and fashion nowadays.. Algae in general has got some fearsome reputation in the modern aquascaping era. :) It's the same with people who have a nice large tidy lawn feel their neck hairs stand when they hear the word Moss..

Hi all,
Can I assume the perched stone, at the top in the top photo, was how all the rock looked when you planted the tank?
I know I'm going to be in a minority, but I really like the way the "biofilm" looks in the first couple of photos. If it was still a really white limestone rock, surrounded by actively growing plants, it would just look wrong for me. It is going to be difficult, because as Marcel says green algae like the same conditions as the plants you want.

You can try shading it out

cheers Darrel
Yes this is A stone i placed on the top of the rock yesday to zee of the algea under the stone dies

Back