• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae

Algexit vs easycarbo please.
My personal view is Algexit is Salicylic Acid based and is targeted towards Green Algae whereas Easycarbo is Glutaraldehyde based and is principally directed at combatting Red Algae.
I have found that salicylic acid (S A) is very effective against green algae, but do not expect overnight results. Glutaralderhyde (1.5%) has little or no effect at recommended doses as a regular addition but is effective against BBA when sprayed on to it directly, ie remove the plant(s)/decorations and spray. Also hydrogen peroxide is also very effective as a spay. (6 Vol may be too harsh for some plants).
Both are very cheap if you 'make your own'. As is hydrogen peroxide.
S A may also be a plant growth stimulant and is found in plants.
Tanks with lots a plants growing strongly have no obvious algae while tanks with plants that show poor growth often have lots of algae. Is one the consequence of the other?

I did some soaking experimenting with buce and Glutaralderhyde to remove (early stages) bba algae and depending on the bath duration it melts just the algae or both :)

Worth noting that in the latter scenario despite all of the leaves melting, the rhizome survived and the plant fully recovered.

It amazes me how hardy plants can be - I completely hacked large bushes of crypts and left the roots in the soil as I did not want to make mess in the tank.. after few months same crypt started growing back in between other plants that I have there now...

It amazes me how hardy plants can be - I completely hacked large bushes of crypts and left the roots in the soil as I did not want to make mess in the tank.. after few months same crypt started growing back in between other plants that I have there now...
That's happened to me too.

Back