• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AL's Planted Re-Scape

Started to get the filter ready for install - I believe the canister was delivered to my work address today but I wasn't there to pick it up. Hoping to swap everything over tomorrow afternoon :)
20130305_162837.jpg

Assembled the pipework and trimmed to length - added some jubilees to the connectors to be on the safe side;
20130305_171509.jpg

Ordered an in-line CO2 atomiser tonight as well so can add that when it arrives :)

Installed my new Eheim filter this afternoon! Was a quick and painless changeover - no doubt helped by having all the pipe work etc ready. The new Eheim takes less than half the bio media of my FX5 so i've squeezed in all that I can and will boil the rest to clean it up and it can go with the FX5 when it is sold.

This one actually fits in the cabinet! Loads of space free too...

20130306_153202.jpg

And I can fit all my other crap back in properly now...

20130306_153148.jpg

And the inside of the tank looks much better for it!!

20130306_153232.jpg

The tank definitely isn't as tidy tonight... A lot of sediment floating around that the FX5 would have decimated - just need to let it settle down a bit I guess!

Got my Up CO2 Atomiser last week;

20130308_170451.jpg

Tank before installation:

20130308_170626.jpg

Tank after installation:

20130308_204133.jpg

Even tidier now then! Have since had a slight move around and a trim so will add some better pics later this week :)

So i've finally gotten around to getting my Canon out to take some better pics of my tank (ie. not taken on my S3!)
Rathbun's Bloodfin Tetra:
2303-4.jpg

The tank's main Bruiser - one of my favourite tropical fish:
2303-5.jpg

I also have a Triple Red in the tank but he hides most of the time!
2303-6.jpg

Right side close up - really need to trim the Stauro lower!
2303-3.jpg

Couple of FTS (taken with different lenses):
2303-1.jpg

2303-2.jpg

Am sure to start a new job in a couple of weeks time, once that has settled down I intend to strip the tank down entirely, reduce my fish stock (just keeping the Triple Red and the Ember Tetra) and will re-do the tank with the other piece of wood that I have and hopefully a complete carpet of Stauro this time now that I know I can grow it easily!
Thanks for looking!

Wow, is it really 6 1/2 months since I last posted an update?? That's shocking. Started a new job in April so had very little free time at all :(

Tank is still running! Just have some crypts and a bit of stauro left now - stripped everything else out over the last few months. Not ran CO2 for a few months either... As a result my water is crystal clear, maintenance has been reduced and my fish seem much happier tbh!

So this coming weekend I am going to be stripping the tank down entirely! I have a snail infestation that I haven't been able to beat so am going to get all the fish back over to my old work (MA in Shirley) where they shall live a new life in one of the sumps! :p shall then clean the tank thoroughly and leave it dry for a few weeks. I've already got a lovely piece of wood that I've wanted to use for ages, so that will be going in with a bit of moss attached and the rest of the tank will be planted heavily with Vallis! Simple, cheap and effective if I do it right :)

More soon!

looking forward to update mate tank looked great in last pics and very healthy

Dean

Just because we all love pictures, here's one I took the other week. No wood, no Apisto, just a few rocks, some crypts and a whoooooooole lot of snails and bba knocking about :p
Please excuse the sediment, it was taken shortly after feeding time!

20131009_201519.jpg

Want to get it looking as full and green as this again;

20121221_172957.jpg

Although with a darker substrate (TMC Nutrasoil I think) and a shorter plant list (a simple hardy moss, LOTS of vallis and maybe one other small plant in the foreground) - will limit the fish to just one species also (probably Celestial Pearl Danio's) and a big group of Amano's to keep the moss clean :)
Plus the equipment will be hidden properly and the layout will actually be considered for once :p

Back