• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternathera reineckii v.s. ludwigia ovalis?

veerserif

Hi all,

I currently have a small patch of A. reineckii in my tank. It's not doing so great but it's at least sending up some new growth. It's a non-CO2 low-light tank with regular all-in-one liquid fert dosing, on a gravel-and-root-tab substrate.

The thing is, I plan to keep amano shrimp and I've heard from multiple places that amanos love to eat AR. Because of that, and the relatively slow and frankly unspectacular growth it's exhibiting in my tank, I'm considering getting rid of it and replacing it with ludwigia - right now I have my eye on some ludwigia ovalis I can get for a good price.

Thoughts? I've not come across any cases of amanos eating ludwigia, and it's got the same sort of green-gold look I'd want.

@veerserif
I think you’ll be fine with the ludwigia. Should be a lot easier to grow than the AR without co2. I’ve kept both with shrimp and haven’t had them go for the ludwigia but have had them eat the AR. That’s not to say they won’t though!

cheers

Conor

Back