• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Am I ready for RCS?

Christor

So my tank has been cycling now for 4 weeks and heres its current parameters
Ammonia-0/0.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 50/60ppm (trying small water changes)
KH-60/6
GH-260/13
PH-7

From readign they can adapt to these conditions right?

My tanks very heavily planted and has a strong flow and water agitation, now there has been an algae bloom as its low tech el natural, aka soil base and medium lighting 2 watts per g

anyway beside the point, I have tried some tester cherries,some cheap ones and well started with 10 and for the 2 days following reckon I could see half, after a water change 2days ago and looking today I see a moult but only one shrimp, the rest have disaeared and there arent many hiding places I couldnt see or to hold them all

no bodies either and its tank mates are little borrares brigatte, mosquito rasbora so they arent the culprit. Is it maybe nitrate poisioning? As I said I am trying small water changes to reduce it as its quite high and my plants dont seem to be absorbing them as I thought

should I cycle a little longer before adding again? also (no previous experience what so ever) they never sat still or on the substrate which is pretty dense, always floating about and landing randomly, this normal?:) thanks for reading the ramblings of a very keen and impatient future shrimp keeper :)

Have you got a sponge / tights over the intake for your filter? They may have been sucked up into filter?

Dincho posted a very good dummies guide to basic requirements here:-

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19724

Well worth a read and dont rush into it. You need to find out what happened to the cherries first, otherwise CRS will just break your heart and wallet!

Thank you Basil but I have no intention or capability of crystals yet :lol: just going to stick to cherries so far :) I dont yet but didnt imagine it would be possible for adult shrimp but then again what do I know so I will look about doing so soon :) just a mystery as to where they could be!

They are pretty good at hiding out when stressed. They could feel threatened by the fish in the tank and taken cover in a safe place?

Ha thats definitely true for the hiding bit, know they are in there and see some, sometimes, but they still manage to dodge me!

fishwise they are very very small, actually smaller than the shrimp but I guess it may be an issue, possibly, I shall keep an eye on them

Back