• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano, MTS and Nerite snail

Heagney

So...new John Innes down topped with sand, water in but no filter for a few days. Will be a new fluval 206 brand new. Got plants coming tomorrow and Friday.
Question is...when can I add the shrimp and snails?? I'll do a water change tomorrow and plant the plants and await my filter which will prob end up coming Monday or Tuesday. Should I wait the full cycle before adding them?
More worried about the shrimp to be honest.
In a crappy little bucket with only an air pump and no filter at the mo

I wouldn't add until it's cycled im sure I've read somewhere about ammonia spikes from soils (don't quote me on that) could you make a diy temp filter for bucket from hob media I had to do that when my filter went down used sponge from canister as filter made hole stuck tube in and airline temp sponge filter I still use it on 5l

Sent from my SM-G900F

I'm just re starting my tank and my HOB filter just gave up on me so waiting on a new canister filter coming. I kinda knew that anyway to be honest I'll just need to hope they survive.

Shrimp will be fine in a shallow "tank" with no filter for some days, just watch the temp re cooler water holds more dissolved oxygen (gases) ... MTS (Malaysian trumpet snail?) are difficult to kill (even when you try), nerites can be more fragile than some shrimps - check suggested temperature etc ranges for shrimp & nerites & set your holding tank accordingly
Daily water changes will usually supply enough incoming oxygen - just make sure shrimp have mosses etc to cling to & nibble
- don't add food to the bucket unless you've a filter or perform a water change an hour or so later & are doing daily water changes (I'd do the water change after food as an additional water change)
Note I'm assuming that your tank & change water parameters are well matched - you don't want to add additional stress in this situation.

If you've a sponge from your HOB filter, just allow this to float in your bucket

only an air pump
missed this :oops:
so normal temp's should be fine - just be careful of shrimps & microbubbles that may be trapped inside shrimp exoskeleton (I've only seen this rarely & shrimp were fine, but others have reported associated fatalities)

I'd also do daily water changes on the rescaped tank to remove ammonia etc & continue with this after adding plants, & during first week or two, once new filter is in place, & shrimp etc returned to tank
- if you have a Seachem Ammonia Alert this will generally detect rising ammonia levels & you can perform water changes as needed

Thanks folks I'll just need to fully cycle and keep the guys in their wee tank just now...ill buy an ammonia test kit to check my water as well

Back