Ammonia Testing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by myboyshay, 1 Oct 2009.

1. myboyshay

myboyshay Member

Hi there,

I'm at day 13 of my new setup using a brand new filter with new Sera Siporax media.

My substrate is ADA aquasoil which I know leaches ammonia. I recently tested ph which is 6.8 and Nitrate tested at 0.

Would it be best to purchse an ammonia test kit, and if so any recommendations for a half decent kit, before adding any livestock.

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

If using ADA AS then it might be worth while keeping an eye on NH3 and NO2, just to see when they've dropped to 0. Though I guess its not essential. I've used the API test kits which always seemed to work well.

Sam

3. myboyshay

myboyshay Member

Thanks Sam,

Just bought the API NH3 kit so I'll check tonight afer work.

Mark!

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

You need to check Nitrite (NO2-) too as this is toxic too and needs to be 0 before you add stock. In fact I usually just check for nitrite as after a week or so if the nitrite is 0 then ammonia should be too.

5. myboyshay

myboyshay Member

Cheers Ed,

I'll make sure I'll do all the checks just to make sure....Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and ph.

Thanks

Mark

6. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

I hope you can all swim :thumbup: - if "Ceg" see this you will all be in deep water :lol:

Paul.

7. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hey Paul, FYI, I was recently excommunicated from the Church of "Our Immaculate Lady of The Holy Test Kits + Hand Grenades of Antioch" for the heretical statements made in the thread We Don't Need No Stinking Test Kits!

I mean, lets do a reality check. What are you going to do with your NO3 test kit, believe the readings? And then what, frantically look for ways to lower your NO3? I still have my NH4 and NO2 test kits from 1992. That's how often I needed them. I reckon that's close to £40 worth of junk right there. Do you realize how much Fosters you can get on-sale at Tesco for £40?

Cheers,

8. myboyshay

myboyshay Member

Going off the advice given my ammonia readings with test kits might never read 0 if they aren't accurate so when will it be safe to introduce a clean up crew (oto's and Amano shrimp)

My set up with ADA aquasoil and filter (new media) is now 16 days old and eveything is going well so far.

Cheers

Mark

9. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Your ammonia and nitrite test kits are accurate enough for testing as a tank matures and you should see the difference in the readings once your tank is matured. Nitrate test kits are rather inaccurate though but the nitrate reading isn't needed to check if your tank is mature.

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

bin the kits. i simply don't test any more. the only water i test, is the type, when i ask the wife if i can buy something new ;)

11. myboyshay

myboyshay Member

Nice one Saintly :lol:

When do you think it'll be safe to add the critters.

Mark!

12. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i always believe that if you do regular W/C in a tanks infancy you'll be able to add livestock pretty quickly. even with brand new media. I know I have done and never lost stock. stock slowly.

13. myboyshay

myboyshay Member

Cheers for the replies everyone :thumbup:

Mark