• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

And so it begins...

Hey, if you want my two cents I think that the scape would almost work better without the rocks. I've scaped with glimmer rock/petrified wood rock and I think it's one of the trickiest, it often has straight edges where you don't want it, and has lines/strata that you want to get consistent between rocks ideally. I think they distract from the wood (that looked really cool in the second arrangement above with the narrow bits up imo) The approx sizes are a bit too samey, they might even work better more horizontally and be more of a visual base for the wood?

Richard, My wife had suggested using the rocks horizontally - so when I told her you had said the same, I thought she would be pleased. Apparently, she isn't - now it is my tank and she has no interest in which way up my rocks are... In my defence, I have only known her 51 years so perhaps it is too soon to expect to understand her.....

But anyway - all good input. Part of my problem is that the 'best bits' of the narrow bits sticking up are behind that in tank filter box - seemed a good idea when I bought the tank but regretting it already. Will find an hour to have a good re-arrange in the next day or 3 and will repost my next attempt.

Thanks for the feedback, it all helps.

51 years so perhaps it is too soon to expect to understand her
Haha, know that feeling!
Thanks for the feedback
I enjoy sharing ideas and seeing what others do. The good advice I've seen here a couple of times is make something that you like and will enjoy. It's your opinion that matters. Planting can also totally transform what a tank looks like, so having that and your fish needs in mind is a good idea. Leaving a hardscape sitting and coming back to it lots of times can help rather than rushing in, but also, you can always change things up!

While I agree with the others that you can see “the presence of human hand” it has a familiarity to it which I really enjoy.

It reminds me of the various henges and stone circles I’ve visited around Cumbria. A deliberate placing of stones which has aged and been reclaimed by nature.

Looking forward to seeing it planted. 👍🏻

Is there a consensus on 'dark start' or 'dry start' or a 3rd approach that I need to be aware of? Am thinking 'dry start' at the moment but I don't know what I don't know at this stage...

I personally like tanks with an “unnatural” and more “fantastical” vibe. Those rocks look like they could be some type of mystical tablet / obelisk. I would try and carve some runes into one of them.
I live in a nature rich area so quite like the concept of having something a bit whimsical in the house.

Hi all,
Is there a consensus on 'dark start' or 'dry start' or a 3rd approach that I need to be aware of?
The "dark start" links are in your other thread: <"Amano Shrimp , co2 and Tropica soil">.

Diana Walstad talks about a dry start in <"Small Planted tanks for pet shrimp">.
......In 2009, I set up a couple tanks for shrimp with tiny, ground-covering “carpet plants” using the DSM (Dry Start Method) [2]. Startup involves growing plants emergent under terrarium-like conditions (Fig 5). Only after the plants became firmly established and spreading (usually takes about 6 weeks), did I submerge them fully (I added water gradually to the tanks over a period of several days.). The DSM has several advantages over the usual setup method. Emergent-grown plants often grow 4-10 faster than plants grown submersed. Plants quickly develop an extensive root system. Because plants are not submerged, they don’t have to compete with algae.......
Wet start? I just went for that because I was excited.
Personally I like "plant and wait" as well, once you have a reasonably large plant mass in active growth your tank is "cycled". Have a look at <"Seasoned Tank Time">.

There is some discussion of "plant and wait" in <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements"> and <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">. This was what Dr Newton said:
.... There are a couple of good possibilities, 1) the water - most municipal water systems contain some number of nitrifiers, which then come out of your residence tap; 2) the plants - nitrifiers are also commonly associated with plants. Or, it could be they drift in from the air - seems less likely, but it is not impossible.

If you do need to add nitrifiers the best source is from an aquaponics or aquaculture system that is already running and removing ammonia. Some water or sediment/soil or part of the biobilter (if there is one) is an excellent starter. Without this source as an inoculum then you could add some roots from plants from any other tank that is running - these are likely to have nitrifiers associated with them. A small clipping put into the tank would be enough.

In some lab tests we found that adding previous material from a running biofilter could reduce ammonia oxidation start-up time from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 days. We also tested a commercial product of nitrifiers & it did decrease the time to ammonia oxidation start-up. It was slower than our biofilter material transfer, but much quicker than doing nothing. However, the microbes present in the system from the commercial product disappeared over a few weeks and were replaced by those more common to our system. So, it seems some products could help “jump-start” the process, but it will be a lot less predictable and ultimately may not determine what microbe succeed in the long run.......

cheers Darrel

Anyway, here is today's arrangement - am thinking I am putting too much in - but i don't want to end up with a tank with insufficient structure...
20240306_175443.jpg

I am working on the 'plant some stuff and see what survives and go from there' mantra.

So to start with on the left ground I have Staurogyne repens and on the right Utricularia graminifolia. On the lower parts of both pieces of wood I have Anubias barteri nana and on the higher bits., Christmas moss on the rear piece and Java moss on the front one. Am worried the mosses may get too dry while I wait for the lower stuff to root - but guess I just keep misting it a couple of times a day and hope...

Have already decided I should have gone for a tank without the fixed internal filter and this one, I fear, has too little light from the provided LEDs - so have a suspicion that in 6 months time, I may be due a major upgrade - but lets see how it goes for now as the whole point was to learn how to do this stuff.

Any one recommend a specific water test kit? (I have a whole setup for my koi pond and will default to that - but interested to see what is different in this environment)

OK - finally got the initial planting completed. Not what I had in mind when I laid out the hardscape but as this is a learning experience, will see what works and how it grows. Can someone point me to a guide on water changes - how much and how often at this stage while it establishes please.

Attachments

• 20240427_185231.jpg
    20240427_185231.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
Back