• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 60L kitchen tank

NeilW said:
I still love this tank, its just so lush and green! Lots of interest in it too with lots of different things to look at. :D

Thanks :thumbup: I originally wanted a tank with lots to look at!

rawr said:
This is one of the most beautiful and more importantly natural Aquascapes on here, well done you should be proud! :)

:oops: Thanks very much for you kind words!

paul.in.kendal said:
Yep, I think it's fab, too. So much detail and variety in just 60 litres of water! I'd be burning the dinner all the time if I had a beautiful distraction like that in the kitchen.

Cheers Paul, i do get told off regularly for staring into the tank instead of doing the dishes! and remember this is my first planted tank, yours will get to this to!

andyh said:
Cheers Paul, i do get told off regularly for staring into the tank instead of doing the dishes! and remember this is my first planted tank, yours will get to this to!

That is one hell of a first tank, Andy!

Dave.

Congratulations, Andy!

This aquascape and its wonderful journal are one of the biggest success stories on UKAPS.

You have shown us all what can be done with the right investment in research, time, and hardware.

Will you be keeping this going much longer, or do have a plan for a new 'scape yet? 5 months is very good going in a high energy set-up like this. Testament to your dedication and focus.

You must have learnt an incredible amount through this one 'scape (hard to believe it's your first!) and if you do a re-scape you have plenty of plants to choose from in there.

If I may be so bold, for me it is starting to look a little too wild and overgrown, almost becoming a victim of its own success; for me there is no real focal point. However, I do understand that the natural-look is very appealing too and it does look much better post-prune.

Well done and keep up the great work! :D

George Farmer said:
Congratulations, Andy!

This aquascape and its wonderful journal are one of the biggest success stories on UKAPS.

You have shown us all what can be done with the right investment in research, time, and hardware.

:oops: Thanks George, thats a massive compliment and it means huge amount coming from you. Its some of your early tanks that got me motivated into this Aquascaping game! oh and that bloke from Japan! I have also enjoyed the whole journal thing, Its great way of keeping track of the setup and helps to remind me what i have done, good and bad!

George Farmer said:
Will you be keeping this going much longer, or do have a plan for a new 'scape yet? 5 months is very good going in a high energy set-up like this. Testament to your dedication and focus.

You must have learnt an incredible amount through this one 'scape (hard to believe it's your first!) and if you do a re-scape you have plenty of plants to choose from in there.

I have learnt bucket loads, patience is definitely one of them. I made mistakes but by using the info and knowledge on here on here managed to get round it. I wanted to to run this for a long period to prove to myself that i could keep everything healthy and running well. I am know for changing my mind/hobbies/opinions and doing completely different things at the drop of a hat :crazy: So i am pleased that i have kept it going.

George Farmer said:
If I may be so bold, for me it is starting to look a little too wild and overgrown, almost becoming a victim of its own success; for me there is no real focal point. However, I do understand that the natural-look is very appealing too and it does look much better post-prune.

Well done and keep up the great work! :D

How very dare you! :lol: :lol:

I have to admit i have been looking at other scapes a lot lately trying to work out what to do next..... I have a few ideas but haven't been sold on one particular idea yet.

One challenge is that this tank is only 11" deep due to the kitchen cupboards so that limits me slightly in what i can create. I quite fancy a high energy setup again, as i enjoy this. I also fancy something with a more complex hard scape side to it.

Any ideas George?

andyh said:
Any ideas George?
Well, if you want to prove you can keep this going long-term then go for it. Some minor plant movements, pruning sessions, even the odd hardscape change can give you an entirely new look with minimal fuss.

For me, starting from scratch is very exciting but daunting if you're not entirely confident on a design.

If you do continue with this layout then consider a stronger focal point. Perhaps some wood to replace the dragon stone?

If you do start over then the world is your oyster.

As an avid fishkeeper you may want to design the layout around the fish? Maybe some rare gobies, some great hardscape with smooth pebbles, boulders, moss etc. Something a bit different to the usual Nature Aquarium style.

Fancy a real challenge?! Go Dutch!

Some food for thought.

At the end of the day, it's your call. You've proven yourself with this tank so you're only limited by your imagination.

Vito said:
Hey andy the tank is looking great, I now have an inline diffuser and I was wondering how often do you clean yours and how.

Hey Vito,

The answer to that is simple.... I haven't yet! When i do i plant to use a hose cleaner and tap and rinse it well. I suspect that i will do this at the next big filter clean. Mine has been running for approx 6 weeks now, not noticed any change in performance yet.

Andy

In relation to your defuser. Have you used any other kind before? I have just (finaly) got myself presurised co2 and am useing the supplied spiral reactor supplied by jbl. wich one would you think is the better method for administering co2 into my water columbe. my spiral reactor or your defuser?

chilled84 said:
In relation to your defuser. Have you used any other kind before? I have just (finaly) got myself presurised co2 and am useing the supplied spiral reactor supplied by jbl. wich one would you think is the better method for administering co2 into my water columbe. my spiral reactor or your defuser?

Hi chilled,

With ref to diffuser yes i have tried others and my JBL set came with said spiral diffuser, the theory behind that type of diffuser is that the co2 remains in contact with the water longer giving it more opportunity to diffuse as such. I personally couldnt stand the look of it in my tank, so switched to a glass diffuser and then onto an inline.
I have had great success with the inline diffuser personally as the it really creates a fine mist. Its all down to personal preference. I like the inline because the mist gets blasted all round the tank by the return on my filter.

Hey Andy, just enquiring as to how your rhinogobius get on with your CRS? Any shrimp baby eating, or are they pure algae eaters? Do you think one would be alright for my 15 litre nano?

Cheers, Neil

NeilW said:
Hey Andy, just enquiring as to how your rhinogobius get on with your CRS? Any shrimp baby eating, or are they pure algae eaters? Do you think one would be alright for my 15 litre nano?

Cheers, Neil

Hey Neil

My gobies are actually Stiphodon sp. and not Rhinogobius. They are Algae eaters so never had any problems with them eating shrimps. I have masses of shrimp babies with no problems at all.

You may get away with one of the smaller ones in your 15l i.e stiphodon semoni:
web.jpg

I have 3 in my 60l and they look great. Sometimes called neon blue goby. This guy is fully grow.

Well Ladies and Gents

I am little sad to say Its time to end this scape! :( I have decided to completely re-scape the tank, i have already had a big clear out and i am just setting up my spare tank to house my livestock until their new scape is ready.

This scape/setup has provided me with a steep learning curve as it was my first venture into the planted tank game!
Thanks for all the comments in this journal its certainly fueled my enthusiasm!

new journal will start within a few weeks..... so watch this space and fingers crossed i can create something that i am so happy with again! :thumbup: :wave:

thanks for looking!

Andyh

This lurker wants to thank you for a splendid journal ;) Since long added to the list of favourites!
Hope your next one will be as good! good luck

flun said:
This lurker wants to thank you for a splendid journal ;) Since long added to the list of favourites!
Hope your next one will be as good! good luck

Thanks Flun! Hoping my next one comes up to the mark!

;)

AdAndrews said:
Have to been down to MA @ shirley lately? do they still stock the gobies? and how much did you say they were again?

thanks

funny that, i was there at lunch time today! They had neon blue gobies £9 each, Red gobies £5 and a couple of others. Not as many as normal, so get down there at the weekend! Be aware the blue ones in the tank wont really show any decent colour, when you choose make sure you get one with some blue shimmer to the body, as i did notice a fair few females. ;)

Shame to see this one go. Out of curiosity would it be possible to keep a high tech set-up running over years? Is it just that it ends up being a beast to control with the accelerated growth which means you would be hacking it back and replanting all the time?

Any preview ideas for your new scape? ;)

Neil

NeilW said:
Shame to see this one go. Out of curiosity would it be possible to keep a high tech set-up running over years? Is it just that it ends up being a beast to control with the accelerated growth which means you would be hacking it back and replanting all the time?

Any preview ideas for your new scape? ;)

Neil

Neil

Thanks for you comments, i am a little sad as i had a massive attachment to the tank as its my first one :( But i have learnt so much and want to put it to the test!

With ref to keeping high tech/energy set-ups going for years, not really sure. I think it would be possible, but the maintenance is farily high. I also think once in while you would have to replace certain plants. I did consider keeping this tank going but i wanted to try new things.

The new scape, will get a new journal in the next few days!
catbag.jpg

Not letting the cat out of the bag just yet! :text-imsorry:

Back