• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anibias nana melting

Halley

I recently set up a new Juwel Vision 180l planted tank. I used some old aquasoil and jbl manando soil with some new aquasoil. I was happy with the layout until the branch started to droop so I was messing with it and caused the soil to get very muddy. All the plants died (mainly java fern and anubias) which was surprising. Anyway I got new plants and the tank settled down, however the anubias is still melting. I spent a fortune on nana and golden heart versions and it is melting constantly. Has the initial disturbance caused a type of algae that is destroying the anubias? Here is a current pic of tank -
b8a95aa7321c5d0e465f28cf1dd36025.jpg

All the other plants are doing well - any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was loads of anubias at the bottom left of the piece of wood - there is about 20% left. Little bits just melts and get soft

Will that help?

If you don´t try how can you expect to know?

No one on earth knows the melt causes.
But you can give a try by giving a boost of nutrients as your soil is exhausted.

That´s what i suggest.

Best regards

Hi Anubias and ferns should not be planted in the substrate - at least rhizome should not not buried in the substrate. Otherwise they do melt.
Cannot tell from your pics if anubias and ferns are planted in the substrate or tied onto hardscape.

Some times anubias gets brown or black blotches that become soft or mussy. Most people seem to think this is a bacterial or viral infection of some kind. It f that is the case you need to remove all the infected parts and maybe treat the plant with bleach or h202 or some such thing. If the plant is just generally deteriorating the first thing to try is adding phosphate. Often you will see an improvement after a few days with that in which case keep adding extra phosphate.

I should add that a sudden change of light intensity will also cause the leaves to melt.

Thanks - I will try adding some phosphate - its a real mystery as all the other plants are doing well and anubias is supposed to be very hardy. The rhizome was not planted in the substrate. It could be an infection of some kind...

I've subjected anubias to various extremes & never had a melt such as you describe ... stunting/lack of growth/algae etc may occur but the disintegration you describe seems odd ... perhaps contact the seller & discuss possible solutions/causes - in case of infection, this was unlikely to have occurred in the (assumed) short time you had these plants (prior to the melt beginning).

As BruceF suggests, inspect the rhizome for health, remove any soft tissue (use a razor blade rather than a knife/scissors to get a clean cut) - you might also use a horticultural sealant on the cut edges (though this will likely cost you more $ unless you can find someone to just give you a bit) - disinfect gently (H2O2 or bleach needs to be dilute - you should be able to find "recipes" for this on the net) & return plant to an area with good flow & shading from light ...
you don't mention tank temp, but I'd be inclined to run on the lower range, eg cardinals are found in Temperature: 20 – 29 °C

Note if you decide to alter tank temp, do this gradually

Temperature is 25 celsius. All the leaves were melting initially and then I threw the rhizomes in the bin if there was no leaves left. Any rhizomes that i left in the tank started to melt after time. The light in the tank is 2 t8 25w bulbs (50w total). I have the juwel internal, a jbl e1501 filter with spraybars and a koralia nano - all facing the front of the tank.

I've seen this when I removed anibis from a high tech tank into a bucket an left it outside with a temperature difference of 15 degrees less.

Your problem is unusual indeed. Could you remove some into quarantine ?

Yes I could put it into a small tank. I might try that but I suspect the damage could be done by now.

Yes I could put it into a small tank. I might try that but I suspect the damage could be done by now.

yes but then you can compare the recovery. One in the original scene of crime and another elsewhere.

Yes - i will try it with the little bit i have left. I was looking at it last night and saw a little bit of fungus - could that be the culprit?

I had some anubias petite on the ens of the driftwood and that has melted aswell. Really cant get my head around this

Back