• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another user with CO2 Issues

So things have got marginally worse with the repens in particular which is dying off quicker since the changes it seems. Since the last post Ive had major issues getting a green/lime green drop checker at lights on despite increasing the time the between when CO2 is on and lights on. I've upped the bps to what I would consider pretty mental. I've checked for leaks 4 times so somehow my CO2 diffusion is worse than with the old in tank atomizer (it seems).

Other changes are a spray bar that runs the length of the tank and the addition of a single powerhead mounted in the center of the tank just under the spray bar (pointing in the same direction). I've also changed the in line diffuser to the filter outlet as when it was on the inflow I literally got a blue drop checker during the entire photo-period.

Any ideas as to what im doing wrong, my flow seems better but now Im having issues with getting enough CO2 in there.....who though getting gas into an aquarium would be so hard! :)

Oh no :( maybe you should reduce the amount of surface agitation?
Have you done a pH profile recently?

Yeah, I agree with Sacha. Surface agitation drives off the gas so there should be a limit on how much agitation. No air bubbles or anything else that breaks the surface. Check for gas leaks using washing up liquid, especially at, and downstream of, the bubble counter area and do the pH profile checks as mentioned. Can we see another image of this configuration? Has the lighting been reduced as well? Liquid carbon addition is a good interim step until you sort out the gas.

Cheers,

I'm still dosing liquid carbon daily. I've checked for leaked all away along the path of CO2 from bottle to diffuser but I'll check again.
Frustratingly I've been working a lot recently so have been unable to do a proper pH profile recently. This is probably my downfall and I realise it will help but my boss might not let me take a day off to 'check tank pH levels' ;)
I'll have another look at the surface agitation when I get back tonight and adjust accordingly. I'll also send a picture.
Thanks guys.

u3y2y6ev.jpg

As you suggested Clive the spray bar is higher and sits about 2-3 cm under the surface which is about as high as it will go.

The powerhead is facing dead forward.

Yes, but the output nozzle is far below the bar.. It's perhaps a minor point but try rotating it 180 degrees (or 90 degrees) so that the cable is below and the nozzle is above.

Cheers,

Ok, I'll turn it 90 degrees and move it as far up as possible. In terms of the surface ripple it's only really very slight and barely breaks. I'm not sure how to avoid it without either tilting the angle of the spray bar or lowering it.

OK, well if it's just a ripple then the problem does not lie there. Lighting is still in question but in your Opening Post you mention that you have two Hydors. I can't keep track of the sequence of events but it looks like there is only one pump. It's also possible that the flow out of the spraybars is too weak. Can we see an image showing what the jets look like? Just drop the water level by half so we can get a better view.

Cheers,

Lol, literally just done a water change. I'll drain it slightly now to show you.

Thanks for going through the trouble. It doesn't look too bad to me. It would be nice if the jets touched the front glass but the powhead should help. I think you ought to mount the other one as well though.

The only thing left is the injection rate. I reckon you just need to increase it until you get the necessary pH drop. AS always, dropping the light to under 20% will also help.

Cheers,

No problem, thanks for the on-going help. I'll mount the other one at the weekend and space them as you've suggested. I'll drop the lights down too.
I'm still very confused as to why, even with a bubble rate of 6ps and CO2 on 4 hrs before lights on I still can't get a green drop checker.
Hopefully despite my busy weekend away I can get back in time to do a pH profile :)

That injection rate means there is almost definitely a leak somewhere. Have you checked the bubble counter itself for leaks?

I've checked everything with washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle. I'll try again tonight.

I would be amazed if all that co2 was making it into the tank, and the drop checker was still blue.
There's something very strange going on here!

Do you not get any mist/ micro bubbles coming through the spray bar? The atomizer should be making your water look like lemonade

Yeah I've got a fairly fine mist, it's not hugely noticeable. I'm checking for leaks now.

Yeah, check the cylinder valve at the neck too. Open the needle valve until you can't count bps anymore.

Cheers,

I'll check when I get back this weekend. Booked Monday off simply to do a pH profile. I'm going to change the fire extinguisher bottle too.

So I managed to do a pH profile albeit a manic one. I did this directly after a water change and annoyingly without a bubble counter since it as sacha suggested was the cause of the leaks. I didn't want to waste my 'pH profile day off' so just had to guess on the bps. Here are the results-
Just to re-iterate CO2 is on at 1:00pm and Lights on at 5:00pm

1:00- 7.2
1:30- 7.0
2:00- 6.7
2:30- 6.5
3:00- 6.2
3:30- 6.2 *
4:00- 6.2

* unfortunately the fish started showing signs of stress at this point so i partially changed the water and got an aerator going under the power-head. The drop checker went yellow and my main concern was ensuring the fish were ok (which they are thank-fully). Anyway, since the bubble checker has been removed from the solenoid I've been using a bodge job using a glass one I've propped up. Its currently set at 3bps and the tank is showing a fine mist from top to bottom. Ive ordered a more substantial and higher quality bubble checker which I'll set up later this week. For now I'm just going to leave the set-up as it is and plan another pH profile at the weekend.

I'd also like to attempt a later CO2 on time if I can to avoid wasting CO2. Should I be aiming to get a full pH point drop between CO2 on and Lights on or go with the drop checker colour?

Back