• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias leaf mark problems

Drouthie

Hi,

A little info about my tank to help with the diagnosis.

180L Juwel, 2 x T5 lights, internal filter that it came with plus Tetratec EX 1200. CO2 pressurised system (fire extinguisher) shut off 1 hr before lights out. 7 hours photoperiod, EI dosing using aquanourish macro and micro. Only algae is a bit of green dusting on the glass at the moment because the sun falls on it at this time of year. Water changes 50% every week, pH 6.5. I'll admit that I've stocked it a little heavier than a more serious aqauscaper would recommend (25ish cardinals, 8 cherry barbs, 4 SAE, 3 peacock gudgeons, 1 clown plec, 1 three spot gourami, 3 guppies, ??? cherry barbs).

My anubias looks like this:
IMG_0539.jpg

I posted it up before when I didn't have a very good picture and before I got my CO2 system/ started to dose as much. I was hoping it might fix itself with these changes but it has made no difference. The new leaves are fine and the more covered the leaf the less affected (the bottom one was partially covered towards the stem). They are like little worn away pits in the leaves. I have searched "Dr Google" high and low to no avail. Anyone seen this before/ know what it is?

Hello,
This is called Green Spot Algae (GSA) and anubias are particularly susceptible to it. Remove the leaves and try to keep the anubias shaded as much as you can.

Cheers,

Cheers Ceg! Its hard to work out how to fix something if you can't work out what the name of the problem is! Hmm I may just have to replace the anubias with something else :(. Do you know why it causes little pockmarks in the leaves, is this just a anubias stress thing?

Hi all,
This is called Green Spot Algae (GSA) and anubias are particularly susceptible to it. Remove the leaves and try to keep the anubias shaded as much as you can.
If the leaves really are that light green colour? it looks like leaf scorch and you need to move them into a more shaded area. I've kept Anubias in extremely low nitrogen situations, and the leaves never became chlorotic (although growth became almost imperceptible), so I don't think it is a nitrogen deficiency. I usually tuck mine in the bottom of the "jungle", forget about them and let them get on with it.

cheers Darrel

From what you've both said I think it might be a combination of the two (GSA and leaf scorch) due to the position. Hmm I think I need to rethink my layout as the cure for either problem is moving them (they are pretty exposed). Its a shame because they suit where they are. Never mind - its an excuse to rescape! They are a little darker than the picture, I took it with my phone as I don't have a camera, its very hard to get a decent shot; especially as the fish thought I was about to feed them and were crowding in front of the camera.

Thanks guys this has been bothering me for ages, I just couldn't decide what the problem was so I didn't know what action to take.

Back