• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubis - god of the shadows

Frosties

I have decided to do a new scape. 

This one has taken 2.5 hour to setup. It is a 180l unbranded tank. There is a 1500lph unbranded filter and a 250w heater. 11w lighting and that's it. The lighting is temporary until my new lighting rig arrives.

Substrate has been reused - Dupla ground with a tub of vulcanit added. This is in preparation for more plants - you may see these next week when they arrive. It is after all a work in progress!

Co2 is there but not connected yet. May do that later tonight. Dupla 2kg setup with valve, atomiser and bubble counter plus magnetic valve.

Now plants and wood. It is all manzanita wood. One branch (which you can't see clearly yet) is 1m in length and is totally covered in anubias!
So plants. Think Anubia. total cost about £85 to £100
7 varieties :
A. Barteri (3 pots)
A. Barteri coffeefolia (3 pots)
A. Barteri nana (9 pots)
A. Barteri nana golden (2 pots)
A. Barteri starburst (1 pot)
A. Barteri nana petit (2 pots)
A. Hastifolia (1 pot)

Oh yes - a picture!

794cc207.jpg

Now plants that are to arrive are sag. subulata, e. acicularis and a. fluitans. When these arrive and are In the tank, the only thing that is not indiginous to the west Africa rivers zaire or ogowe is the wood!

I am unsure for the fish though. I am open to suggestions and criticism.

Rocks, its missing rocks.

All over, next to the wood I would use grey rocks. Actually support the wood on the rocks.

Then a carpet of hairgrass.

For fish I would get kribs.

there's no need to set up the C02 on a tank that size with 11w of light, it'd be a waste of C02. I agree with Luis, it need some rocks around the bases of the wood.

Grey rocks... Hmmm will look into my stores tomorrow. As for the co2 point taken but the new lighting will be 63w and I have to think of the hairgrass for the future. It will be needed - just at a really low level. Wpg will be 1.6 so it will still be on the low level. Algae should not be too much of a problem and spare nitrates should be consumed by the a. fluitans.
But point taken on the rock. I must admit I thought something was missing. I have a ton of fossilised wood but that would not look correct.

Kribs - hmmm not my favourite but I shall look into this. Any other suggestions for livestock?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.781635,-1.060571

Yep, no red rocks, your substrate is already red. :)

Black rocks maybe? Go to bandq they usually have granite about.

Now for fish. If you want a sort of biotope then kribs, otherwise a large shoal of neons.

About hairgrass. That is a easy plant. Too much light and you have issues with anubias, too little and the hairgrass will slow down. I would just moss the tank! Lots of java moss, carpet the lot. Once in a while trim and sell. :)

Back