• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any geologists among us?

I'm thinking of getting some stone locally I live near both the beach and the lakes so should be able to find some interesting looking pieces. Is there anything to watch out for that might be detrimental to water quality? I was thinking of just testing with vinegar for hardness.

I could call myself a geologist, i've got a A level in it!
I'd look out for any rocks with veins in them, as a white vein which looks like quartz could be calcite, which could have negative effects on water chemistry.
Also, I'd stay away from any sandstones, or other fine grained soft sedimentary rock. Just because the matrix with holds the sediment particles together could leach some bad stuff into the water, and the rock would eventually crumble.
Hope this helps a little.

David

you want hard rock. if you find some similar pieces. wack one bit with a rock. if it 'snaps' then its good. if it crumbles then its not!

yep, avoid anything with nasty 'veins', holes etc.

you will need to boil the stones to get rid of some of the outer crap.

dont worry, i wont report you for stealing stones off the beach...... :lol:

yep, avoid anything with nasty 'veins', holes etc
That's a shame some of the veiny rocks look well.
dont worry, i wont report you for stealing stones off the beach......
:D There actually is a sign up at the beach, I think I should be ok with a couple it's more for people pulling up with a trailer to get back fill for there patio. I might wear a ski mask just in case though :rolleyes:
When I get some I'll post some pics to see what you think.

Doyouknow what sort of rocks are in the area you are collecting from? I have been studying geology at BSc level for a few years but to be honest its not always possibleto ID a rock at sight, you will sometimes need lab equipment and a microscope. But generally avoid limestone,anything with calcite looking veins, and sedimentary rocks like sandstone or conglomerates. Ideally rocks like slate, a metamorphic rock, or schists, and igneous rocks are best suited. I would take care boiling rocks. If you do this, make sure it is only for minutes at most. Rocks take a long time to heat up,but have a capacity to hold heat for a long time, also if they are cooled quickly they can explode spectacularly! Just be careful not to over do it.
Best if you can grab some good looking rocks,do the acid/vinegar test to see if they fizz, if they dont then take some pics post them on here and we'll see if they are ok.

Hi all,
Because you are in Cumbria you should have access to a lot of really good hard igneous pebbles. Any hard round beach pebble or cobble should do.

You get them in a range of colours, the granite pebbles will be white or pink with a darker speckling, gabbro coarsely speckled dark and light etc.

This is a typical Granite.
granite-coarse-grained.jpg

Have a look here for some more:
http://geology.com/rocks/igneous-rocks.shtml and also at the metamorphic rocks http://geology.com/rocks/metamorphic-rocks.shtml. I picked up some stripy Gneiss and fantastic shiny green Peridotite? pebbles in N. Pembs last time I was there.
Gneiss
gneiss.jpg

cheers Darrel

I will post any I find.
Because you are in Cumbria you should have access to a lot of really good hard igneous pebbles. Any hard round beach pebble or cobble should do.
I'm trying to get hold of an angled rock with some shape to it to get a bit of dimension to an already bland scape, the safer stones come from the beach but are generally rounded or pebbles as they are known :D there is plenty of granite and slate in the lakes though just haven't got out there yet.

Thanks for the warning on the boiling appreciated. :)

Hi all,
If you are after angular rocks what you want is a disused hard rock quarry, either for roadstone or an old mine for silver, gold, lead zinc etc. I think they are marked on the OS map.

Another possibility is some scree, there is a huge block scree running up from Waste water, but any scree which has Parsley Fern (Cryptogramma crispa) on it will be acid rocks. There must be some scree accessible from the tops of some of the passes? Wrynose etc?

cheers Darrel

Would i be correct in thinking though, that if you want hard water for your fish, that a rock which reacts lightly to acid maybe a good idea to act as a buffer? I didn't do Geology... I did chemical engineering ;)

Hi all,
I'm in Germany so I've got limited WWW access, but yes a limestone will buffer the KH of the water by adding carbonate via the carbonate\carbonic acid equilibrium, and GH via the calcium ions.

Some limestones are very hard (Carboniferous limestone in the UK), but softer ones are any shell derived aragonite form of calcium carbonate and chalk, sugar or jurassic limestones. That is why people use coral or shell sand, it is more soluble.

cheers Darrel

Back