• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Any Idea What This Algae Is?

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I use the Alkaline Buffer to stop my pH from dropping below 6, which I believe would cause my nitrifying bacteria go dormant. The acid buffer is to stop my pH from being pushed up too high. Please correct me if I am wrong on the low pH/nitrifying bacteria thing
Yes it isn't true. You don't need the buffers. have a look at <"The soil substrate .....">

cheers Darrel

Katie656

Wow, interesting. Thank you - you have given me a lot to consider

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
@Katie656, this is my personal opinion, and not the official view of the forum, but a lot of the "expert advice" on other forums is incorrect, and often written by people who don't understand the science that that underlies our hobby. I think pH is <"particularly problematic">, because pH readings often need some interpretation, and you can't extrapolate from hard (where pH changes are small) to soft water (where pH is much more of a movable feast) .

I think there is also an issue with the sellers of certain products, who are, at best, being economical with the truth. I understand that you can have an economic model where you make a profit by imbuing a cheap product with all sorts of magical properties and <"selling it for a large mark-up">, or continually selling a replacement part (<"or product">) that doesn't need replacing (or has little intrinsic value), but I'm pretty sure they are counter-productive in the longer term.

<"Diana Walstad's"> book <"The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium"> is well worth reading, it explains why plants (and particularly those with emergent or floating leaves) are so important in maintaining a successful planted aquarium.

Additionally both she and <"Dr Tim Hovanec"> reviewed some of, <"their original comments"> based upon subsequent research and/or personal experience.

cheers Darrel

sparkyweasel

Nicely worded, Darrel. :)

I like to remember that when I started keeping fish there were old-timers who had been keeping and breeding all sorts of fish, and growing great plants, who had never heard of nitrosomonas, pH, nitrate etc, never mind testing for them.

Katie656

Darrel, I have had a quick look at the book you have mentioned on Amazon. It’s very interesting, I have ordered a copy so that I can read it further.