• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any light recommendations for this tank...

Dr. White

I would like to hear others' thoughts about which light to get for this aquarium I am in the process of setting up. As you can see, it is pretty close to my favourite chair for listening to music. The light fitting would be just behind my head, raised about a foot or two above eye level. As such, the light would need to be dimable and a shade would probably be a good idea.
I think an LED lamp centrally would likely be preferable to a bar due to the tank being a cube.
I like the look of the Fluval Nano LED. The app functionality is something I would definitely use.
In terms of plants, I am going for those that need low or moderate lighting and am not considering CO2 injection.
Do you think the Fluval Nano would be a good fit here? Any other options that I could consider?

20230819_114840.jpg

What is the volume and dimensions of your tank? Chihiros has one that is around the same price. From what I can tell in the picture it looks pretty big I don’t know if a nano light would suffice. But I do think the chihiros is more powerful than the fluval nano.

I would like to hear others' thoughts about which light to get for this aquarium I am in the process of setting up. As you can see, it is pretty close to my favourite chair for listening to music. The light fitting would be just behind my head, raised about a foot or two above eye level. As such, the light would need to be dimable and a shade would probably be a good idea.
I think an LED lamp centrally would likely be preferable to a bar due to the tank being a cube.
I like the look of the Fluval Nano LED. The app functionality is something I would definitely use.
In terms of plants, I am going for those that need low or moderate lighting and am not considering CO2 injection.
Do you think the Fluval Nano would be a good fit here? Any other options that I could consider?

View attachment 209726
Care to spend more than most would?
Mitras LX 7004
Refurb:

Either would still need mounting arm.
And why you may ask.
Uses reflectors and not lenses so a lot less side glare.
And it's white.. ;)

v

What is the volume and dimensions of your tank? Chihiros has one that is around the same price. From what I can tell in the picture it looks pretty big I don’t know if a nano light would suffice. But I do think the chihiros is more powerful than the fluval nano.
Sorry, should have mentioned that important detail in the OP!
It is 40x40 cm cube and 60L

Care to spend more than most would?
Mitras LX 7004
Refurb:

Either would still need mounting arm.
And why you may ask.
Uses reflectors and not lenses so a lot less side glare.
And it's white.. ;)

v
Not that much!
I'm thinking £100 upper limit. I don't really need high output as I am growing low or medium light requiring plants. Largely because I am going low tech, but also because I don't want to get sunburned sitting next to it!

No idea what they retail at, used to be around £30 l think, the a Aquael Leddy lamp, (Plant) can be used stand alone or whatever you need across the tank

Not that much!
I'm thinking £100 upper limit. I don't really need high output as I am growing low or medium light requiring plants. Largely because I am going low tech, but also because I don't want to get sunburned sitting next to it!
Well it is dimmable..... :)

A 16" Finnex Stingray 2 would probably be good enough.

Sitting so close I worry ANY tank mount puck type light will be way to distracting.
You can find some shades for some lights though or improvise.
400mm bars can be hard to find. Amazon uk lists the 16" as out of stock atm.

You need to define wants/ needs
Stingray 2 is simple on/off via an added timer.

View attachment 209726
You can also go higher with a narrow optic smart bulb...
Say 3ft up off the tank rim.

Need a bulb w/ 25- ish degree optics
Simple calculator

@2ft...40 degrees.
When transitioning from aquarium light to " architecture" the words flood and spot take on different meanings 40 degree lenses light may be called a narrow flood where we think of it as more of a "spot" due to common distances used in each.

Last edited:

View attachment 209726
Did you find a solution? I’m in a similar position but wanting to upgrade from cheap starter- lamps that are not adjustable.

Did you find a solution? I’m in a similar position but wanting to upgrade from cheap starter- lamps that are not adjustable.
Hi Mike. I ended up digging deep into my pocket and bought a Kessil A80. Before I bought it thought I might need to have it ramped down when I am sitting by it, but this has not been the case at all. In fact, I'd be happy if it had a bit more output! Having said that, I am extremely happy with the quality of light and the ripple effect it gives, and my plants have all be growing brilliantly under it.

Interesting. I’ll have a look at it. 15 W seems a little underpowered esp for a deep tank (40 cm for me). I was tending towards the TwinStar 300 which is half this cost. But yours does also look pretty!
Hi Mike. I ended up digging deep into my pocket and bought a Kessil A80. Before I bought it thought I might need to have it ramped down when I am sitting by it, but this has not been the case at all. In fact, I'd be happy if it had a bit more output! Having said that, I am extremely happy with the quality of light and the ripple effect it gives, and my plants have all be growing brilliantly under it.

Back