• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone dose throught their top-up?

Are you using the auto top up to actually top up or are you putting it onto an on/off timer to pump an amount of ferts in?
I only ask as if using as a top up your rates of evaporation could greatly vary and this will effect dosing. You'd really need a fairly constant measureable rate of top up to know you were adding enough ferts. You'd be better off with a designated dosing system or just sticking with manual introduction IMO. Dosing ferts doesn't have to be a precise art but you do need to ensure your adding enough regularly.

Are you using the auto top up to actually top up or are you putting it onto an on/off timer to pump an amount of ferts in?
I only ask as if using as a top up your rates of evaporation could greatly vary and this will effect dosing. You'd really need a fairly constant measureable rate of top up to know you were adding enough ferts. You'd be better off with a designated dosing system or just sticking with manual introduction IMO. Dosing ferts doesn't have to be a precise art but you do need to ensure your adding enough regularly.

Good point - I will start manually (IF nothing else, to learn what I am doing), and see how much RO the topup is putting in each week, and how consistent it is. I am in London, so my water will be 'pre-loaded' with a fair amount of nutrients, and I will also be using TMC soil, so will have a certain amount of 'buffer' if I underdose. From what I read, overdosing is next to impossible?

Back