• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apisto Realm

Gill

So Some have seen my Little 2.4Gallon Table top tank made by Aquavista (aquavista100)

Well i decided to set it up for a hareem of Apisto Steel Blue. 1 Male 4 females
And chucked in some Cherry shrimp from a local breeder.

The tank is scaped with mainly Bogwood to create numerous little caves.
Planting is simple.
Nymphoides. Peacock Moss, Fissidens Fontanus( I had shredded some and left it to attach randomly on bogwood in a bucket, along with other mosses)
Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba' (attached to bogwood, and growing well), red green marbled tiger lotus, lace bulb. Micro Java Fern, And going to use HC planted in some hanging pots.
There is no Background, and have left it black.
going to add some extra lighting, as the LED in it is not very bright(2W), but saying that all the plants are thriving.
Found some pico led units and going to try one of the slimline static light bars.

Sunday I purchased some platinum halfbeaks, chilli rasbora, and finally some nice Cardinal shrimp(i have kept these in coventry water before with success) They arrived this afternoon and acclimated them on my return home from work. 1 of the halfbeaks had a lower jaw missing so that was refunded within 1/2 hour of informing the seller. I dripped the fish and shrimp over 1 hr and slowly netted them and added to the tank.

Will take some pix at the weekend. Now this is a messy tank just for the cardinal shrimp. as they prefer a messy tank with mulm and lots of grazing and algae on the glass.
There are plenty of red ramshorns and pest snails ( I always keep these as food for fish and shrimp. as they love the newly hatched snails). Plus crushed adults give good free food for the fish.

Need to buy a few saka water bottles to turn into planters for the HC. and some suckers to mount them with.

Larger volume of water will remain more stable than smaller volume.

2.4 gal would make nice shrimp environment ,but would in my view be too small for even a single Betta.

Hi Gill. I respect that you've been keeping fish for a long time and like to do things differently sometimes, but this does sound like a recipe for disaster to me.

Darrel has pointed out the issue with the apistos and the halfbeaks will also need way more room for a bit of a wrestle now and again - they're really pretty active fish and can potentially grow to 3 inches depending on exactly which species you have. Plus there's the challenge of maintaining water quality in such a small volume.

I'm sure the fish would be much better off in a proper sized tank.

Cheers, Tom

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No worries guys, i understand that people are concerned for the fish welfare. not everything will remain in here. the shrimp and halfbeaks were impulse buys. so can be moved into a riparium i have in the hall. i want to give the apistos as much room as I can, so they will be going into an azoo palm i have maturing at the moment.
You guys know how often i change things round depending on how i think the fish are doing. and always have backups on hand.

Back