• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apistogramas died

Everything appears to be really healthy in the pictures.

I noticed a dark looking ram in your full tank shot. Is it one of those dark knight rams or is it a standard German blue ram?

Everything appears to be really healthy in the pictures.

I noticed a dark looking ram in your full tank shot. Is it one of those dark knight rams or is it a standard German blue ram?
There are no rams anymore, the black one probably black neon tetra

Oh sorry, it was the picture you posted earlier in the thread. Not from the photos you posted today.
I had:
German Blue Ram
apistogramma cacatuoides
Bolivian ram
Apistogramma macmasteri

All of them died, can't understand why.
All other fishes are fine, the current stock:
Angels, denison barbs, some small l numbers, rummy nose tetra, cardinal tetra, columbian tetra, black neon tetra, corydoras sterbai, corydoras panda, ancistrus, otos, amano shrimps, nerite snails,.

They could just be poor quality stock. Rams are notoriously difficult and need warm soft water to thrive. Apistos from the far east are also often of poor quality and can fade away quite quickly.

However, Bolivian rams are normally quite hardy so the death of those has thrown me a bit. Unfortunately without any photos of the dwarf cichlids prior to their deaths it’ll be hard to work out what killed them. Thankfully, all your other stock looks really healthy and in great condition.

They could just be poor quality stock. Rams are notoriously difficult and need warm soft water to thrive. Apistos from the far east are also often of poor quality and can fade away quite quickly.

However, Bolivian rams are normally quite hardy so the death of those has thrown me a bit. Unfortunately without any photos of the dwarf cichlids prior to their deaths it’ll be hard to work out what killed them. Thankfully, all your other stock looks really healthy and in great condition.
Those german and bolivian rams lived in aquarium at least for 6 months. Temprature is 24 degrees.
They start to die when I started to dose EI.

German Blue Ram
apistogramma cacatuoides
Bolivian ram
Apistogramma macmasteri
None of these species suit for keeping with other fish. They're best kept separately in pairs. They don't enjoy company, that is stressful for them, and can be a source of contagion which more hardy species can handle but not dwarf cichlids. Meticulous cleanliness is essential, and that too is difficult with a tank full of various fishes.
They prefer/require low mineralization and low organic content. E.I. is incompatible with such demands.

Those german and bolivian rams lived in aquarium at least for 6 months. Temprature is 24 degrees.
I wouldn’t exactly call 6 months a long life, 24 degrees is fine for Bolivians but far too cold for German rams long term.
They prefer/require low mineralization and low organic content. E.I. is incompatible with such demands.
I would agree that softer water is better for these fish, Especially the German rams. However, these are all species which are far removed from their wild counter parts. I have successfully bred apistogramma cacutoides in London tap water which is liquid rock. Even though E.I levels of minerals are far from ideal I can’t imagine it would kill most of the species listed here.

I wouldn’t exactly call 6 months a long life, 24 degrees is fine for Bolivians but far too cold for German rams long term.

I would agree that softer water is better for these fish, Especially the German rams. However, these are all species which are far removed from their wild counter parts. I have successfully bred apistogramma cacutoides in London tap water which is liquid rock. Even though E.I levels of minerals are far from ideal I can’t imagine it would kill most of the species listed here.
Which of those specisies can live in 24 degree?

Just coming back to this.

• Are your other fish remaining healthy since your last post?
  • Could you describe what you observed before the fish died? Any strange behaviours?

Just coming back to this.

• Are your other fish remaining healthy since your last post?
  • Could you describe what you observed before the fish died? Any strange behaviours?
Yeap, all other fishes are fine.
What I observed before their deaht, they started to keep more and more to the bottom of the tank and started to loose coloration.

That is very strange.

It does seem like there was something very specific to those fish. Either they were more sensitive to pathogens or oxygen levels, or they had some genetic issues.

Have you added any further fish of a similar size since?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very strange.

It does seem like there was something very specific to those fish. Either they were more sensitive to pathogens or oxygen levels, or they had some genetic issues.

Have you added any further fish of a similar size since?

The thing is I had mutliple type of apistos and I lost all, except bolivian rams. Since their dead, I have added denison barbs and lost 1 of 5, but reat 4 are okayish

The thing is I had mutliple type of apistos and I lost all, except bolivian rams. Since their dead, I have added denison barbs and lost 1 of 5, but reat 4 are okayish

Thanks.

OK, final three questions.

1/ What filter are you running, and what media is in that filter?

2/ How many inches of fish do you estimate having in the aquarium?

3/ What is the volume of the tank you have?

Thanks.

OK, final three questions.

1/ What filter are you running, and what media is in that filter?

2/ How many inches of fish do you estimate having in the aquarium?

3/ What is the volume of the tank you have?

Filter is a sump, with sponges, biohome and seachem matrix.
Cant say exactly about inches, but it is a bit overstocked I think.
Volum of tank 800 liters

Filter is a sump, with sponges, biohome and seachem matrix.
Cant say exactly about inches, but it is a bit overstocked I think.
Volum of tank 800 liters

OK - if you ever work out your fish inches then get back to me. I love fish maths!

When you get time, send us a picture of your sump and also let us know what your sump cleaning routine is.

Sorry for the questions! I don’t like unsolved mysteries.

OK - if you ever work out your fish inches then get back to me. I love fish maths!

When you get time, send us a picture of your sump and also let us know what your sump cleaning routine is.

Sorry for the questions! I don’t like unsolved mysteries.

Well stock is followibg
angels - 12
rummynose tetra - 30
cardinal tetra - 10
black neon tetra - 10
bolivian ram - 2
columbian tetra - 10
denison barb - 4
L333 - 2
L341 - 1
Amano shrimps - 15
Nerite snails -20
Nerite horn snail -30

First chamber of sump with white sponge(dont know exsctly how it called) which I change every week and 4 blue sponges (30 and 10 ppm) and seachem purigen
Second chamber 16 kg biohome
Third chamber 16 kg seachem matrix
The last chamber is return pump.

Regarding the cleaning, once in 6 months I clean sponges with tap water(we dont have any chlorine in tap). And I vacum the bottom of sump

Thanks - that feels like a challenge. Let me try and do some math and come back!

What is the volume of the sump?

Sorry, can you send me the model of the sump or the size of the chambers. (I can then calculate volume of media).

Back