• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aponogeton Bulb

Hi all, I ordered an Aponogeton bulb recently and received it last week. It's been sitting in a bucket waiting to go into the tank for about a week. However, the bulb hasn't sunk in all that time and is floating mid-bucket. I read online that this could mean the bulb is spent and therefore no good? Or do you guys think it will still be good? It's got a little new growth on it since I got it.

Thanks for your help.

Your Aponogeton can not be "spent"...........it is either alive or dead. Basically it works like a Tulip or a Narcis. If it is allready dead, there is ofcourse no hope of growing a plant.
It can be more or less virile, though, often depending on how long time the dormancy has been lasting. This will influence the capability, or time needed, to sprout and grow a plant.

The best you can do is therefore to plant it immidiately after purchased,to induce growing. The development of roots and leaves will enable the new plant to sustain itself quite early. Soon after that, the plant will start to gather enough energy to store, for surviving it's next dormancy.

Thanks for the reply. I planted it today. I planted it so that the top of the bulb (where the leaves are coming out) is above the substrate - is this about right or should I uncover some more of the bulb? Not sure how deep they should be planted.

Thanks for the reply. I planted it today. I planted it so that the top of the bulb (where the leaves are coming out) is above the substrate - is this about right or should I uncover some more of the bulb? Not sure how deep they should be planted.[/QUOTE
just the right way to plant :thumbup:

I have a few of these, love them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 115
Thanks - I was thinking of having a ulvaceus - is it easy to care for?

Yeah, so far anyway! If this one does well I might get another one of a different type.

The only thing I'm not clear on is if the bulbs have to be rested periodically.

Yeah, so far anyway! If this one does well I might get another one of a different type.

The only thing I'm not clear on is if the bulbs have to be rested periodically.
Dormancy need in Aponogeton is depending on species - and actually sometimes differ in same species. Some species (ex. some of the Apon. crispus and Apon. undulata) does not seem to need dormancy at all.
If the plant need to, it will usually go dormant all by itself. This cause all leaves to be shed within a week or two, leaving no leaves visual. It is usually not needed/benefitial to take out the bulb - plant will re-grow in its own time. A serious starved plant will ofcourse have gathered very little energy for its dormancy - such a plant may never wake up again.
Length of dormancy is dependant on species and can be a bit influenced by conditions in the tank.

Back