• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APS 2000EF

Bertie

Hi,
I am seriously considering buying one of the above to give me increased flow in my Rio 180.
At the moment I have an Eheim Pro 3 250 which runs at 950 lph. The APS is the only one I can afford at the moment but there may be a problem.
I currently use the 16/22 UP Atomiser and the size of the hose for the above is 25/18 has anyone got around this. I was thinking of attaching the hose with Jubilee clips but do not know whether the size difference would be too much for that.
Any one using this filter with this Atomiser?

I run two of them on my discus tank. They are not the greatest but they can turnover a fair chunk of water and mine have been running for a year. I doubt a jubilee clip would work and even if it did it would serioulsly reduce flow. Best option is to get a y splitter and split the piping to two smaller sizes to fit on your atomiser and then another splitter to merge back to the original size. Thats what I have done for my inline hydor. The splitters can be found in shops selling pond equipment.

Hi,
Thanks for that.I think I understand what you mean. I will have a look on internet in the morning. Thanks again.

Well I can only find T splitters. So if I was to used two I could then use them to make a bypass and have the Inline Atomiser on the bypass.
Would that restrict the flow too much?

Yes you need a Y, there are threads on here with links & diagrams... just cant find them!
Have you considered running another Eheim Pro 3 250?

Hi fox,
Yes I have considered another Eheim but the APS is more cost effective and I will donate my Pro 3 to my son. I still cannot find any Y splitters so will continue the search.

Thanks for that foxfish will have a look at them.....I am still looking and have not come up with much but will keep on it :)

I have managed now to find quite a few. It is surprising how adding the word "barbed" to the search improved results greatly.:oops:

Hi,
I got my 2000EF today, but I am still stumped on what to do about the UP 16/22 Inline diffuser.
I may be confusing myself, but there are two ways I can connect it to the APS hose, which is 18mm internal dia and 25mm external dia.
The only hose connectors that I can find with 18mm and 16mm are T's, so I can T off one hose with the 16mm hose going to the atomiser and then re-joining the main hose using another T therefore creating a bypass with the main hose. If that makes sense.
The other way is that I can connect the larger hose to the UP which will connect to the thread area on the Inline and I can then clamp with Jubilee clips,but that will mean for 11cm the flow will be reduced from 18mm (internal dia of the hose) to 12mm (Internal dia of the UP) for 11cm.
Will either of these options cause major flow problems or indeed any other problems?

You could try doing away with the UP & just feed C02 into your new filter inlet & see how it runs.

Hi foxfish,
Fitted the filter this morning and I have the co2 going in through the filter. The flow on the filter is very good and the only problem I have found is that I cannot seem to get rid of all the air in the filter. Whether this has anything to do with me having one empty basket in there I do not know. I just hope that at least by the end of the day the air would have disappeared.

Takes me a while to get the water out of the intake, despite the priming mechanism. Probably got a lot to do with the wide bore pipes, but also wasn't helped when I first started when I realised that one of the joints on the intake was above the water line and was sucking in air.

Takes me a while to get the water out of the intake, despite the priming mechanism. Probably got a lot to do with the wide bore pipes, but also wasn't helped when I first started when I realised that one of the joints on the intake was above the water line and was sucking in air.

Yes the air is 99.9% out now. After having an Eheim I have noticed a fair old hum from the motor on this one!! My son has an APS and it was as quiet as my Eheim.
It may need a week or to to bed in? I only noticed the hum after tilting the filter to shake air out. It does not sound like the impellor though. It is def a electrical hum.

My Eheim was whisper quiet but I expect I will get used to it. I sit right next to it tho ;) Still has quite a bit of trapped air in it. Sounds like a washing machine at the moment. I will wait until the co2 switches off and then switch the filter off for 30mins,that some times allows any air to get out of the filter! As I said, I have got one filter basket completely empty so whether that is causing some sort of cavitation I don't know. Water change day tomorrow so if air is still there I will spread the media out a bit more. Or the co2 going directly into the inflow?

Ah right. Yes I was hoping that it would bed in.

Back