• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua at pet shop - layout no.3 - the end

Thanks guys.

Not sure why, but latest photos with clean white sand I like less than 16 weeks picture with "dirty" sand.
Perhaps that was the right moment for photo, now I need to wait couple of weeks to let it grow and restore a bit chaotic look.

Thanks Roy for your kind words.

I should admit the result of last photo shoot is far from satisfied. Even though there was used a real DSLR camera.
My colleague and me don't have required skills to get the proper result yet. :(
I'm going to do photo shoot again next weekend. Maybe I'll hire some profi to help.

Today I have another nice (well, I guess so) colors for you. Your suggestions about title for that, please?

13879130134_2f9837229c.jpg
DSC05042
by bialix1, on Flickr

Today I printed 5 photos from last session, and accidentally got some advices from profi from photo shop. I hope I can use advices next weekend.

And another macro for you. Those minnows are not the prettiest fish in our tanks, but they have some charm, aren't they? And I think they are good match in color to overall composition and can tolerate flow from filter.

13899195695_8a39f625f8.jpgDSC05031 by bialix1, on Flickr

Very healthy Alexander, I was quite surprised to see that the outflow pipe is standing on a large piece of plant biomass thus the flow is quite reduced... My 60 liters tank looks like a washing machine compared to yours :)

Jordi

Jordi, that video was filmed almost month ago, and now the situation is much worse, I'd say. I managed to broke the both glass pipes (during regular cleaning 1/month) and tank was without external filter for 1 week, now it's running again with Eheim green pipes. I found their performance much worse than glass pipes (in the same position) or maybe the filter need to be cleaned/restarted again, I dunno.

The plants are going like crazy after I increased light period up to 7 hours (back in April, IIRC). Maybe it was mistake?

Anyway, today there are too much plants and I'm not happy anymore with photo shooting results. When you watch the tank for the man's height stays tall - you enjoy the lush plants on the upper part of the tank. But in the same time they create too much shade over right bottom corner and therefore it's too hard to make a proper photo. (And my very own camera is crap - I'm desperately trying to find something not too expensive but with good quality - any tips guys?)

Here is my failing attempt (last weekend) to get something for IAPLC (silly me: I forgot to disable timestamp).

14046047978_35148fb4e1_c.jpg100_6072 by bialix1, on Flickr

Obviously there were too much p.gayi at left. So I cut it:

14230420782_7ffa0b386e_c.jpg100_6101 by bialix1, on Flickr

I think that one is better but still not enough for IAPLC.

Thinking about the layout I'd say my mistake is typical: too much plants, too big plants. I need either remove half of plants (e.g. narrow fern) or simply start new scape.

Or I may let it running on its own and watch where it arrives in the end...[DOUBLEPOST=1400790267][/DOUBLEPOST]Sales person in the shop told me about customers asking about that tank: "Oh, look. Are you changing there something?".
And she replied: "No, the plants just grow." :)
Funny.
But that's true: every month, every week every planted tank changed a little bit, and that's, well, nature magic!

Last edited:
Hi Alex, I personally love that 'excess' of plant biomass, it gives you an idea of the maturity of the tank. I've seen plenty of tanks in the contests with such biomass and even 'darker and more shaded' scapes... But they probably used additional lights or flash to take the final pictures and have light everywhere. Nevertheless I rarely agree with the first position in the contests I have lately seen... I guess it is normal, most of the tanks are exceptional and their relative position between them is very subjective.

You tank looks very nice. You are an experienced aquascaper and I'm sure that you will be able to make the necessary last changes before the final shot. I agree that a light trimming could be the first step, additionally I would personally include some elements on the bottom and bottom left as a transition from the plants to the empty part of the tank. Maybe some nice, larger and more textured rocks embracing the roots and then dispersed toward the left would be enough.

Anyway... Brilliant!

Jordi

The HC and moss growing out on wood looks gorgeous!

Fresh photos with pocket camera taken last weekend after maintenance.
I've cut a lot of plants and replaced white sand again (2nd time). The tank is 7 months old now, and going quite stable.
I think this are the last days of this layout though, I already want to make a new one.

14617655555_862a041cf6_c.jpgIMG_1155 by bialix1, on Flickr

14431051798_2bcaaa39da_c.jpgIMG_1158 by bialix1, on Flickr

14431044998_9d3f93e12d_c.jpgIMG_1149 by bialix1, on Flickr

Thanks for watching :)[DOUBLEPOST=1404970153][/DOUBLEPOST]I'd like to hear some criticism from you guys. What do you not like in this layout? What's wrong there? What could be better if...? I already found several mistakes in the layout, but probably there are more.

well i think its a great scape better than i could achieve !!! but if i had managed to do it i would have left the small stones in foreground out and just used the larger moss covered one :) but its hard to find fault with a scape that's better than you can achieve yourself :)

Thanks Allan. I think I understand what you mean. Strange thing; some people told me they dislike such big area of just white sand that looks empty. White bright sand makes the tank feels like seaside, beach, sun and a lot of fun. Couple of times I heard something like "wanna to dive in there" :)[DOUBLEPOST=1404997986][/DOUBLEPOST]
perfect scape....did the shop get more sale from it?

Do you mean aquatic products? I think the answer is mostly "no". There is some interest from customers to shrimps they saw in that tank, but shrimps population is not so big to sell. Other items - below the line. Also, the summer is here, not the best business time, and more other problems in my country. Not the best time to enjoy the hobby :( Furthermore, online sales of aquatic plants has dropped significantly there in terms volume and price. But I keep it going while I can.

Last edited:
Back