• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua Forest Lava Soil?

Aqua360

Hi all

Has anyone used this?

I can see it advertised as a single substrate akin to normal soil, i.e. no capping, and the price point looks good, but am I missing something?

High chance I'd be using it in a planted tank with shrimp, wondering if it would negatively raise GH etc or something.

I haven't used it as main substrate layer but I know people who use crushed lava rock as a substrate, specially for growing epiphytes like Bucephalandra or for Sulawesi Shrimp tanks.
It should not raise GH or KH as lava rock is normally inert. This brand seems to add trace minerals to the lava rock.
I use lava rock as bigger support pieces or for epiphytes, but haven't tried it as a crushed up substrate, so i'd be intrigued to give it a try, the added minerals though are possibly going to make or break it for me

From the product info: "The unique structure of AF Lava Soil facilitates the rooting of aquatic plants and prevents the formation of anaerobic zones in which bacteria that can produce toxic hydrogen sulfide to develop. It guarantees better water circulation in the substrate of the tank, which facilitates balanced distribution of nutrients and improves its absorption by the plants."
It's all nonsense and lies.

Quoted from Carib Sea web: Eco‑Complete™ Planted is now Eco-Planted™. Same great product but with a new name. Eco-Planted’s™ secret lies in rich basaltic volcanic soil which contains iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur plus over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants. Floraspore™ symbionts activate the root-substrate interface to facilitate the uptake of minerals which make for a healthier root and healthier plant. Iron rich Eco‑Planted™ eliminates the need for laterite. No artificial dyes, paints, or chemical coatings. Eco-Planted’s™ has highly porous spherical grains for optimum diffusion performance and contains live Heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your aquatic plants. It establishes a natural biological balance which makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer.
To me, such talk strongly resembles politicians' promises before election day. :banghead:

Back