• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua-Qube journal (updated 28/02/2011)

Re: Aqua-Qube 40 journal

hi, i've been told that akadama isn't a great option and that it's better to get a proper aquatic substrate. which are the best ones? and about how much would i need for a 33cm sq base?

cheers :D

hi, i have decided on columbo flora base for the substrate. i have had a rethink about the wood and planting. i want to go for a piece of wood that branches out into the tank from towards the back at the left of the tank, reaching towards the surface, with mosses growing on the branches.

28-08-2010093031-Copy.jpg

this is how i'm thinking of planting it. 1). is a stem plant, but i'm not sure what it is going to be yet. maybe Hygrophila polysperma or Limnophila sessiliflora or possibly a Bacopa species, i'm open to suggestions. 2). is going to be Rotala rotundifolia. 3). is Eleocharis acicularis. 4). is a crypt species, possibly wendtii green, but open to suggestions. 5). is mini spiky moss carpet. and 6). is glosso. there will also be iwagumi style rocks in the glosso.

what do you think?

suggestions would be appreciated. :D

hi, tomorrow i'm going to start cutting and de-barking some dead hawthorn, as the prices of redmoor are rather high!!! i'm hoping to use quite a few rooty/branchy bits and glue them together into one great looking piece. what glue would you suggest for sticking the pieces together? and how long would you recommend that i boil/soak the wood for? i'm thinking boiling 5 or so times over a week, and soaking it during that time and then however long it takes to get my tank set up. i'll add some pics of my 'invention' tomorrow hopefully, if anyone's interested?

also, i'm going to have a few dead leaves in the tank for the shrimp and otocinclus to munch on. i know that oak leaves are good to use, but are beech ok? and are there any other leaves that ii can use? also, can i pick the leaves when they are still green, and then leave them to dry out, or must they have died and fallen off first?

hi, i've got three different layouts with the wood, which do you think is best?

the paper shows the base of the tank, and the hight of the tank is to the top of the string (it will be glued together when i've decided on the layout)

1).
001-1.jpg

i made it a bit big, so if i go for this one i'll have to shorten the piece on the right.

2).
008.jpg

3).
014-1.jpg

i will of course remove all bark and soak/boil before placing in the tank. i am also going to file the branches to make them thinner, as i think they are all a bit thick for the tank and are taking up too much room.

if you don't like any of these, or can think of a better way to use the branches (i have a hedge full of spare bits!) please let me know. :good:

i'd really appreciate your opinions on this, as i don't want to be tearing it out after a few weeks!!!

Re: Aqua-Qube 40 journal (help with wood please!)

That wood is live and very soft, it will soon rot in your water and foul it all, dead wood is what you're looking for.

hi, the wood is dead. i collected it from a dead bit in the hedge. it also seems quite hard. do you think it'll be ok?

BTW, did you get my pm?

Hmmm, remove the bark and see, but to my eyes it appears very "fresh". Normally when you collect your own wood you're looking for trees or branches that are already barkless and aged, a-la :
694502_9b56d615.jpg

hi, i don't think it has been dead for long, maybe just over a year. it probably looks alive because it has a greenish layer of mould on it. what do you think of the actual design of the branches? i can change the wood if necessary. i'll have a look for some dead oak tomorrow. :D

I like number 1, add a few stones round it and then have some crypts in the centre and a hairgrass foreground and it'll look like a forest floor. Sorry if I went on abit :lol:

thanks, i think that is a great idea! i'm going to have a look for some small stones, and i think it'll be great.

keep the ideas coming! :thumbup:

hi, i have found some dead beech, and have de-barked it. her is how i've decided to have it in the tank:

008-1.jpg

the highest branches will reach the surface, and i will have mosses growing on the wood, but not too much, as i like the look of the wood.

i'm still on the lookout for some decent pebbles, and will have another hunt tomorrow.

what do you think of this wood layout? it will go in the back left corner of the tank, possibly with either crypts or Rotala rotundifolia growing through it.

i think i'm getting sorted with the overall 'scape now.

in the back left corner will be the wood with mosses growing on it. around the base of the wood will be either the crypts or the Rotala rotundifolia. scattered around the wood will be some small pebbles, with a stem plant across the rest of the background (i'm looking for a tall stem plant (30-40cm) to cover the background, please give your ideas :D ). in the back right corner a dwarf hairgrass carpet will start, sweeping around infront of the Rotala, and stopping at the base of the wood. infront of the wood on the left i will have a carpet of crypts, growing to the front of the tank (stopping 4" before) and meeting the dwarf hairgrass at the wood. there will then be a glosso carpet along the front of the tank (infront of the crypts and the hairgrass). oh, and the crypts and dwarf hairgrass will grow through the pebbles.

what do you think?

cheers

Re: Aqua-Qube 40 journal (new wood!!!)

Any thoughts on the above?

also, i've now had the wood soaking for three days, and after each day i have changed the water. the water hasn't changed colour at all, which i was expecting, as it hasn't been in a bog. about how long do you think i should soak it for? it will be at least a week before i can get it in the tank, probably 2 or 3 weeks. will that be long enough?

cheers :thumbup:

Re: Aqua-Qube 40 journal (new wood!!!)

Hi, I am choosing the plants now. I've drifted away from the forest floor idea, although I'm sure i'll try it in the future.

Here is a plan of the tank from above:
baseplan-1.jpg

Do you think these plants will all grow well in the conditions above?

The circle labelled wood is the base of this piece of wood:
008-1.jpg

Which will have mosses growing on it, so may shade some of the plants below it (which is why I've chosen Cryptocoryne species for around the base).

I want the scape to start tall at the back left, and then slope down to the front right. Will that work with these plants?

Which species would you recommend for the back left corner? I'd like a red stem plant, would a Ludwigia sp. be suitable? If so which one would you recommend? If not, could you recommend another 25cm ish red stem (other than Rotala rotundifolia)?

I'm not 100% sure on the crypt species. Which is the smallest species that will do well at the front left of the tank?

Also, which would you suggest the the right of the wood where i've put beckettii? Would a brownish/purplish crypt species be a good idea, and if so, which would you suggest?

The part labelled 'path' will have no plants, and will just have the Colombo Flora Base substrate. It will be edged with little pebbles (to keep it scaled down).

Is there anything that you would add/take away from this scape? And, do you think I'm cramming too many plants in?

and how do you think the tank will look when finished?

Finally, if anyone has any of the plants I want for this scape spare I'd be interested in buying.

Re: Aqua-Qube journal (Help choosing plants... please look!!

both crypt wendetii tropica and crypt bullosa (aquafleur) are real nice species.

They'd look nice around the base of the wood.

Maybe a few random patches of acicularis, rather than 1 main clump.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I like both of those crypts, so I'll have to see which I can find the easiest. i would like to have 1 big carpet of the E. acicularis, as i really like carpets.

have you got any thoughts on the other things?

I know you said you like carpets, but I agree with Mark about the acicularis growing randomly around the wood.

The wood does not look like it should leech any colour to me, usually darker woods do that.

thanks, I'll have a think of how it will look, but I'll probably try that with the acicularis. it has been suggested that i don't have the moss carpet, but instead have another plant such as glosso and just have moss on the wood. Do you think that's a good idea?

pest control said:
thanks, I'll have a think of how it will look, but I'll probably try that with the acicularis. it has been suggested that i don't have the moss carpet, but instead have another plant such as glosso and just have moss on the wood. Do you think that's a good idea?

It's really personal preference mate. There's no ultimate answer. Try it. If it works it works, if dont....it dont.

look at some amano tanks to give you an idea.Gallery 7 might be close to what your looking for.

http://www.adaaust.com.au/gallery/gallery.htm

A moss foreground is a huge commitment IMO...youll swear after trimmimg it, and cant get the bits out.

Back