• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua-Qube journal (updated 28/02/2011)

Re: Aqua-Qube journal (Help choosing plants... please look!!

hi, i think i'll give the moss carpet a go. which moss do you think looks best in a carpet? i've been thinking flame moss because it grows straight upwards, but what do you think?

cheers :D

Re: Aqua-Qube journal (Help choosing plants... please look!!

Hi, I have got the tank in situ now, and have the substrate and the wood in. I have put the wood differently to how i had first planned, as my original plan wouldn't fit. Here are some pics:

IMG_3046.jpg

FTS.

IMG_3043.jpg

From above.

What do you think? It doesn't look much yet, but I think it'll look good when it is finished. Setting it up has helped with working out how the plants will fit, as I can get a proper sense of size now.

As for the plants, I have decided on an Eleocharis parvula carpet infront of the wood, and Christmas moss on the wood.

Just behind the wood, on both sides, I am going to use either a crypt sp. or Echinodorus tenellus. I have been advised against the E. tenellus in a nano, but when i set it up today, I realised that it has quite a lot of space, and I don't really mind regular trimming. Which do you think would be better between a crypt species and E. tenellus? And if you think a crypt would be better, could you suggest a species?

At the back I want 3 tallish stem plants. I'm thinking of Limnophila sessiliflora on the left (infront of the heater and filter), Rotala rotundifolia in the middle and Hygrophila polysperma on the right.

What do you think of the layout of the hardscape (all of which will be covered in Christmas moss)?

And what are your opinions on the plant choice?

Re: Aqua-Qube journal (updated 09/01/11)

Hi, the tank has been planted now for 14 days. Everything is growing well. The lights are on for 6hrs per day, and I am dosing 1ml of easy carbo per day, and EI ferts.

Here are a few pics:

IMG_3051.jpg

With just the moss planted.

IMG_3055.jpg

Preparations for planting the E. parvula 1-2-GROW! (I really recommend the 1-2-GROW! range, the amount of plants is amazing!).

An here it is today:

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

what do you think?

Re: Aqua-Qube journal (updated 04/02/2011)

looks really good mate, cant belive how much e.parvula you got!!!
keep trimming the moss and itll thicken up really nice :D

Re: Aqua-Qube journal (updated 04/02/2011)

Thanks for the reply. :D I was really impressed with the E. parvula as well, I ended up with too much, so some of it is still floating in the tank. I have given the moss a trim, and it seems to be thickening out quite a lot. :D

All the plants are doing well and growing at a steady pace. I have added my 3 ottos from another tank, and when I have added the shrimp in the next couple of weeks, and they have settled in I will probably get another few.

Here are the pics from a few days ago:

IMG_3466.jpg

Full tank shot, in comparison to the last pics that I uploaded I think it is doing well.

IMG_3493.jpg

The Echinodorus vesuvius is doing well with a couple of new leaves. Hopefully it will grow over the filter and heater soon (I will be putting a background up soon to hide the wires).

IMG_3488.jpg

This is the moss after a trim. It is definitely filling out a lot now, so will hopefully keep growing to make a nice home for the shrimp.

IMG_3470.jpg

The Eleocharis parvula is still sending out runners, so should fill out soon to make a better carpet.

IMG_3473.jpg

Unfortunately I am suffering with some algae on the leaves of the E. parvula, but I'm hoping the shrimp will sort that when I get them.

IMG_3479.jpg

And finally, one of the new inhabitants. I think ottos are going to be the only fish in this tank (with the exception of some Lemon BN fry when I get them breeding.

How do you think the tank is doing? I am quite happy with the progress ATM.

Back