• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquael Mini Pat Double Sponge Cleaning

BarryH

In my Blue Dream shrimp only tank, I'm running the Aquael Mini Pat head with the double sponge filter setup and it's the first time I've used this type of internal filter. Although everything's working really well at the minute and I guess it all depends on the tank loading but how often should the sponges need cleaning or is it simply best to wait until the powerhead starts to struggle?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, Can you clean them one sponge at a time?

Personally, even if it is one sponge, I'd just give it a quick rinse every couple of weeks

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel. Yes, they come off quite easily, one on each side of a centre column sitting on their own intake pole. Sort of like the one below which was on YouTube.

The Aquael Mini Pat comes with quite a coarse filter as standard and it's not the best best for baby shrimp. The Aquael head sits on top of the double filter intake column.

Aquael Mini Pat Combo.jpg

Last edited:
I have this setup in my Caridina tank. When doing partial water changes, I take off one sponge and rinse it well in the old tank water, then put it back. I do the other sponge with the next PWC. It's quick and easy to do (and won't harm the beneficial bacteria in the filter) so there is no harm in doing it with every water change rather than waiting for them to be very dirty before doing it.

I have this setup in my Caridina tank. When doing partial water changes, I take off one sponge and rinse it well in the old tank water, then put it back. I do the other sponge with the next PWC. It's quick and easy to do (and won't harm the beneficial bacteria in the filter) so there is no harm in doing it with every water change rather than waiting for them to be very dirty before doing it.
Thanks for the help. Really appreciated.

Back