• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquael Ultrascape 90

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well,

My setup will be 2 weeks old on Thursday, I carried out 50% water changes for the first week and have dropped down to every other day- will adjust if needed and will continue to do this for another week and then probably move on to 2-3 times a week while things settle.

There has been some slight melt in this time mostly on the Cuba carpet but the new growth is appearing so hoping all will be ok. Blyxa japonica and Helianthum Tenellum seem
To be growing well along with the Cyprus helferi. So far things seem to be going well .

Dosing Seachem stability daily and 7ml of the 2Hr aquarist apt zero faily
From day one via the Chihiros dosing pump. Light is set to 50% on for 6 hours with a ramp up and ramp down of 30 minutes.

Below are some pictures during the fill up after the water change.

Regards
Matt 😃

Attachments

• IMG_9452.jpeg
    IMG_9452.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9453.jpeg
    IMG_9453.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 177
Hi all,

Hope everyone is ok,

An update an my Aquael Ultrascape 90.

It all started off really well, with some slight melt to the Cuba and good growth on everything other than the Cuba. I Carried out daily water changes for 2 weeks and then dropped down to every 2 days on the third week and then did 2x water changes on the 4th week.

Then I was hit with a massive outbreak of diatoms. I have been fairly lucky in my last two scapes and have had very minor diatoms if any at all.
The Blyxa japonica was covered (see attached photo) but the Cuba was also hit hard, after 4 weeks the melt had continued in the Cuba and also the helanthium tennelum at the rear left of the tank was dying off. This was heavily covered in diatoms and despite upping my water changes and removing as much as possible during the water change it didn’t look like it was going to recover, I am not sure why this occurred as all other plants seemed to adapt fairly well and quickly, even the crypt albida brown had minimal melt and seemed to adapt quickly.

I have as of yesterday, removed all of the Cuba and replaced with crypt parva, I have also replaced the helanthium tennelum at the rear left. Before adding live stock I had gotten the co2 right with a lime green drop checker at lights on and staying like this throughout the photoperiod.

Observing during the days and weeks after setup. The co2 was being distributed around the tank but I felt and noticed there were parts of the tank which Didn’t seem
To have as much visible co2 as others.

I have put the Inlet and outlet of the biomaster 350 at the front left, outlet of the 600 at the front right and the inlet of the 600 at the rear right. This I feel has improved co2 distribution and is also pushing the cyperus helferi in the way I had imaged in my head prior to setup.

Dosing 7ml of 2Hr aquarist zero daily via the chihiros auto Doser. And hoping to drop down to 1-2 water changes a week all being well.

Today I have added 12 amano shrimp, 6 blue velvet shrimp and an SAE.

Are the diatoms hitting in week 4 after the water changes where reduced to 1-2 weekly a coincidence or could this be down to reducing the water changes, soil is ADA Amazonia with power sand underneath.

Photoperiod 6 hours daily with a 30 min ramp up and ramp down and running it at 50%.

Salvinia was added as the floating plant during the second week.

Filter media is the same in both filters- 1 blue Oase sponge at the bottom middle trays Matrix top tray purigen with the orange foam.

I have cleaned both pre filters, filter hoses and glass ware weekly to try and reduce any chance of algae and diatoms.

Hoping things have settled down now and the addition of a small cleanup crew that will hopefully keep on top of the diatoms until they pass.

Please note the FTS is after the physical removal of the diatoms (photos attached) and a large 70-80% water change and also after removing the Cuba and replacing with Crpyt parva.

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_9581.jpeg
    IMG_9581.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9575.jpeg
    IMG_9575.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
Hi Darrel,

Thanks for your reply!

Is there anything that could have caused them to hit this bad after 4 weeks of no diatoms ?

Thanks
Matt

Hi all,
Is there anything that could have caused them to hit this bad after 4 weeks of no diatoms ?
We just don't know with diatoms, the problem is that they are incredibly diverse and occur in ~all liquid water on the Earth. This link mentions "algae" (including cyanobacteria etc.) which occur in nutrient poor or eutrophic conditions <"General effects of eutrophication">.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Love the layout- there's a lot to be said for an open-top aquarium. I hope the diatoms fizzle out for you- I'm sure they will.

Adding SAE and shrimps will def. help but try to remove as much diatoms with a toothbrush or by hand followed by added smaller W/C

Back