• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

aquanano 40 and cabinet build - finally berried CRS and baby CBS!

Hi, I use tap water and had used a variety of things to raise the tds. It is only since using Mosura mineral + to add to my tap water that I seem to have halted the shrimp deaths and achieve a berried female. I know that I may lose more shrimp but I'm hoping that the discovery that my TDS pen was out by 20 might help stop that. Ask Basil about tap vs ro, he didn't flag that as a potential problem in my tank.

Hi, I use tap water and had used a variety of things to raise the tds. It is only since using Mosura mineral + to add to my tap water that I seem to have halted the shrimp deaths and achieve a berried female. I know that I may lose more shrimp but I'm hoping that the discovery that my TDS pen was out by 20 might help stop that. Ask Basil about tap vs ro, he didn't flag that as a potential problem in my tank.

Hi Lundy saw that the pen was out. Where did you get the fluid from? Might check mine. Ph meter I. Have can move out really quickly. I thought I had a ph of 7 in the small tank, calibrated and it came in at 6.4 only a minor swing there :). Have to admit not too impressed with performance of ph meter, even now it reports ph as 8 as soon as you put in water and needs a min or so to get down to a more accurate reading.

New light bulb added and a bit of a clean up in the tank. Had the main bit of wood out and sawed a bit off the back to allow me to tuck it in the corner a bit more leaving more room in the front for some plants. Removed all the flame moss as it had died at the base. I have transferred the live bits to some mesh to try and recover it.

The bulb was replaced as the other seemed a little tired. Think that was an understatement. The difference is like night and day. I went for a daylight bulb so is quite cool but i like it. Interested to know if other nano 40 users lights have a 2 pin 18w bulb or a 4 pin. Mine is 2pin 18w. Had a mare trying to locate a bulb as the aqua one website reckons they don't sell them :).

Cleaned out the filters and removed some none standard media I had added.

Moved to RO water, 50% water change. Added bee shrimp gh+ to about 140tds.

So big questions - want to add some more plants but keep relatively low tech.

So thinking some or all of the below. Any comments or suggestions welcome :)

crypto Parva
Microsorium mini
Hydrophilia mini
Staurogyne
Hydrocotyle Japan
Fissidens
Java moss
Weeping moss
Xmas moss

Current piccies:

datugu7e.jpg

yze6eny6.jpg

Thanks for looking

rich

HaHa, if you win I'll chuck in some round pelia if you like. Basil swears by it in his shrimp tanks for baby shrimp as well as adults.

Did you win? Do you want any of the stuff mentioned above? Might be thinning out the crypt beckettii petchii(or whatever its called)too..

how bizarre - didn't get a notification on either of your posts......anyway thanks for being so generous with the additional plants ontop of the fissidens, looking forward to planting next week when i finally get a bit of time off work - sods law though i have had to cancel tues' day off to go to Laaaawnden - but hoping to be out of the office early and might duck down to ADC again and oggle at their king kongs again :).

Main update for tonight following a little clean down and the move to RO at the weekend i have noted 2 CBS in the tank and 2 of the CRS are berried well chuffed.
just hoping the parent survives this time.added some baby pro food i got from freshwatershrimp - hoping that helps

my high grade CRS are coming along well and could be the bargin of the century - i'll post some piccies of them next week, fairly sure at least one is a SSS and all for just £8 each from an LFS that didn't really know what they had. :)

Will be busy next week. Following plants arrived from aquaessentials....super quick delivery and superb packaging.

Mini java fern
Staurogyne repens *2 ( one of which should have been a staurogyne rubescens email sent to try and resolve)
2 lilaeopsis novea-zealande (looks like I pressed add to bag twice duh!!)
A moss dome from superfish (java moss to be added to it)
1 Xmas moss
1 spiky moss
1 java moss
1 weeping moss

I also have some plants coming in from LDcgroomer - won the auction for fissidens and has kindly thrown in loads of other stuff - very generous, thanks lindy :)

Plants will be shared across the 2 tanks. But won't be done until at least wed. Pics to be shared when both tanks done.

Congrats on the berried shrimp :)

Looking forward to seeing the plants in,hope you find the time to do the job,know what its like!Nice to hear the shrimp are berried good luck with that mate!Cheers mark

Point to note massive difference in shrimp activity in the tank now they are in ro water. Just cannot believe how active they are. Clearly there is something in my manc tap water they would prefer not to have.....

Am away at centre parcs for the weekend. I'd say its a well deserved break but kids have plans for entire day in the pool tomorrow. Guarantee I'll be wishing I was at work on Monday am.

Might get chance to plant Monday pm but likely that pillow will win over tanks. :)

Great to hear the improvements in your shrimp.
I've just been to center parcs with the kids last week and on return your pillow will definitely be taking preference over planting!
Enjoy.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back