• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano 40 DSM shrimp pics

Hey guys! flooded it a couple of a days ago. All went well and nothing floated :) The moss (see first pic) has attached it self to the rocks using the yogurt/blender method :)

A couple of weeks before I flooded it I made a few small changes.. planted Eleocharis acicularis in the back left corner and moved some of the HC and HG that was there to fill in some gaps. Also added a few more small rocks.

So far I've done two 90% water changes on day 1 & 2 and today I did 50% and added a small bag of purigen to the middle chamber and some fine filter pad on top of the sponge filter.

CO2 is going fast with drop checker lime green. Aiming to get it into the yellow untill fish are added.
I have a fluval ceramic co2 diffuser in the pump chamber and exit thorugh the spray bar, this little setup seems to be working quite well. I got some clear acrylic tube and made a spray bar to replace the black one I had.

I'm dosing 1ml liquid co2 and a half dose of ferts per day.

Light is on for 8 hours total but only 6 hours at 100%. I have some par data for the light and the lowest point of my scape according to the data gets 35 par... I think this is ok but input welcome. Cheers, enjoy the photos :)

8606324163_6ddf307cf2_b.jpg
8607427920_270c2499b5_b.jpg
8606323811_f646d82660_b.jpg
8606324479_48b18f842e_b.jpg

Thanks Jim. Probably cherry shrimp and cardinal Tetras or Green Neon tetra

Hi Justin thanks mate. Check out George's TMC Signature thread pg 12, lots of good info from plantbrain and George on the ygurt method. Good luck with your DSM :)

Decided to try and take some better photo's with my tripod :) It's been nearly a week and it's going well so far. I'm injecting co2 at roughly 2 bps and also I dose liquid carbon. Co2 comes on 3 hours before lights on and goes off 2 hours before lights out. My drop checker is a pale green colour, I'm using the pre mixed AE Neutro Bromo Blue solution, it does seem quite hard to read against the black background especially. Having said that I also have one of the Gush jet stlye indicator that hang on the side of the tank and I still struggle to see a decent colour in that.
I'm doing 50% wc every couple of days atm then I'll gradually taper off the frequency untill about week 7 when I'll do 50% weekly. I'll add shrimp in about another weeks time :)
8619173317_8f732e811f_b.jpg
8619172457_c602b9dc63_b.jpg
8619172859_89f82311fe_b.jpg
8620276490_08758040cd_b.jpg
8620275564_1c0bd9c5f8_b.jpg
8619171765_1b6eb76a6b_b.jpg
8619171955_f7379930bf_b.jpg

Hi Jon.
Tank looking great and the plants look to be filling in really well.
Regards the dc, especially the hang on one, just pop a bit if white paper behind it when trying to read the colour, it will give a truer representation :)
Cheerio
Ady

Cheers Ady :) Tried the paper behind the drop checker, it's better but still very pale in colour. It might get some bromo blue and add a drop or 2 more to make it easier to see.

Did a water change today. HC started to pearl right after so I took some pics. I have yet to see pearling other than when a water change is performed. I did a bit of searching on the subject of plants not pearling and came across this...

Regarding pearling...... This is a phenomenon that is observed when plants are producing O2 in water that is already O2 saturated. The best way to get pearling is a low fish load, tight fitting cover, intense lighting, perfect ferts, and a jungle of rapidly growing plants (stemmies). If you have a high fish load you might never see pearling. If you have only slowly metabolizing plants or a low plant density you might not overcome the rate of O2 loss to the atmosphere. Despite this, the plants can be perfectly healthy and
growing quite well. If the plants aren't metabolizing due to a nutrient deficiency, no amount of CO2 will cause them to pearl.

Seems to make sense.

taken after water change....
8622329138_7556f5036f_b.jpg

8621226821_788776b6f1_b.jpg

Lovely looking carpet, very clean and great photos.
Cheerio,
Ady

Hi guys, quick update on how the tank's doing.The HC has really taken off since being submerged. The HG is slower growing but even so there has been significant growth over the past 2 weeks. It's not all a piece of cake though. There has always been some floating muck on the surface since day 1 but this has now developed into a thin white oily film. I skim it off everyday and top up. I don't know if this is as a result of ADA AS or plants transitioning from emersed growth or I'm doing something wrong?

I did plant about 5 more hairgrass plants the day before this got worse but the water remained crystal clear and I was doing a water change at the same time anyway. Water changes are every couple of days at the moment. 50% removed and replaced with dechlorinated (prime) tap water. I use a shower spray push on hot and cold tap connector so I mix the water somewhere close to the temperature of the tank. Then I put a small pump inside my 5 gallon bucket wc bucket and pump the whole lot into the tank.

One change I've made (partly to help with the scum and partly for fish and inverts when they're added) is to angle the spray bar up slightly to create more surface movement. The drop checker now shows bluey/green in the mornings then changes to light green a couple of hours after lights on. Before I did that it was light green all the time.

Flow seems good with plants all around the tank moving around gently in the current. The CO2 is going at 2bps still and the mist fills the tank at all levels.
The lights are on for 8 hours total with 2hrs (changed from 1 hr) ramping up at the begining and 2hrs ramping down at the end of the photo period.
I'm dosing 1 pump of liquid carbon (about 1.2ml) and 4 pumps of Neutro+. Initially I was only dosing half Neutro+ because I figured with ADA AS there would be plenty of nutrients in the water, but went to full dosage on the advice of the staff at AE. Today I noticed some white undissolved stuff floating about in the liquid fert bottle... not sure if anything to be concerned about?

The plants look healthy especially the HC. The mini sp. HG is sending out new runners but I have noticed some leaves are kind of wrinkled looking? deficiency of some kind? not many leaves are effected though.
I have yet to see pearling (apart from when water changes are performed) in fact the only pearling is from some brown type of algae? on top of the rocks at the back. The moss is unaffected though and growing slowly.

Wrinkled HG leaves
8644962473_d3f8d8f676_b.jpg

Brown algae on top of rock
8644962149_6f4ce59497_b.jpg

HG spreading
8644962345_b9d0f99e74_b.jpg

8646062372_8ca7ca3688_b.jpg

Cheers :)

Nice pics mate and lovely tank. The curling might be Ca deficiency or Too much potassium wich affect Ca uptake from the plants. Are you usin RO water and any conditioner for RO.

Thanks clone! I'm using water straight from the tap. I use Prime to dechlorinate it before filling the tank with it. Our tap water is soft (devon). I think that the GH of the tank has been raised by the seiryu stone. KH is 0 or 1.

Hi., I used to have the same curling of the hairgrass and some other plant leaves as well. I use pure RO as the water in London is pretty hard:D since start to add Microbe -Lift RO conditioner plants look healty, hope that will help. You can use equilibrum as well.

One change I've made (partly to help with the scum and partly for fish and inverts when they're added) is to angle the spray bar up slightly to create more surface movement. The drop checker now shows bluey/green in the mornings then changes to light green a couple of hours after lights on. Before I did that it was light green all the time.

HG is sending out new runners but I have noticed some leaves are kind of wrinkled looking? deficiency of some kind?
Hi Jon,
this issue could be due to the changes in carbon enrichment. Your spraybar adjustment to give greater surface movement will be creating increased gas exchange, and your drop checker corroborates this with a blue green rather than light green colouration for lights on....you most likely need to inject at a higher rate now to compensate and to give you the light green colour for lights on as this is when the plants need it most.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi., I used to have the same curling of the hairgrass and some other plant leaves as well. I use pure RO as the water in London is pretty hard:D since start to add Microbe -Lift RO conditioner plants look healty, hope that will help. You can use equilibrum as well.
Thanks clone. Very few leaves are curled, I mean hardly any really, but I will keep an eye on things and see if it gets any worse.

Back