• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Gardens Visit

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
I had some spare time today, so on a whim I decided to visit @Aquarium Gardens. The showroom is looking amazing so thought I'd share a few images with you all.

The first scape you see as you enter the showroom. This one reminds me of Pandora from Avatar. The colours are insane, mostly due to the rendition of the luminaire above.
IMG_7483.jpeg

In contrast, I love the plant cushions in this 45P and the subtle differences between the various shades of green.
IMG_7484.jpeg

Amazing emersed growth, Pogostemon erectus in flower.
IMG_7485.jpeg

IMG_7486.jpeg

One of my favourites, and been going now for around 18 months. But wait what's that grass like plant in the background? Could it be vallis? Surely not. . .
IMG_7487.jpeg

Yep, that's vallis. Hopefully, this will start a trend. Vallis is a much maligned and under appreciated plant, be good to see it in more scapes. Goes really well with the lilies
IMG_7488.jpeg

And finally the main showcase, the scape that was put together by the AG team. I love how this has matured and how the plants have been left to grow in to one another. Mature tanks often have another level of naturalness that's difficult to emulate with contrived planting alone. This scape epitomises that.
IMG_7489.jpeg

P.S. I also came away with a small bag of plants, the first in quite some time. The plan is to scape a 45P and dry start it.
Although it'll probably stay that way for quite a while, so it can be moved easily while I renovate my home.

Any idea what the stone is in the emerged one? It looks a bit like slate in terms of structure.

Great photos, thanks for taking the time. What is the emersed plant in the third tank?
Pogostemon erectus. I am so envious! I have been struggling with emersed plants in the Shrimphaus and visits at AG have helped me with some potential doesn't-need-more-than-normal-indoor-humidity ideas. Unfortunately, after being inspired by AG, my pogostemon eretus didn't thrive enough in my non-CO2-injected set-up to get to transition to emersed (didn't help that the bloody mary shrimp seemed to like to nibble at it), and when planted emersed directly it was too much of a shock. AG also has some very nice emersed Bolbitus heteroclita ‘Difformis’ (picture of the AG scape below). I'm giving that a try straight-up emersed and so far it seems ok...
PXL_20230527_124919200.jpg

Bolbitus heteroclita ‘Difformis’
Never had much success with it under water, I don't think many folk have. It's probably best grown where Dave has placed it in the scape above, emersed.

Filipe did okay with it though, the tree's foliage is made of it...

1687512027852.png

And thanks @Wookii , I plan to keep it simple ;)

Last edited:
I popped in to AG on the 15th after a work trip (last week), couldn't resist the opportunity as its around 2.5hrs drive from me. It was water change day 😊

I couldn't agree more on the showroom, looking really good. The AS1500 looks immense in person, such a satisfying scape to take in.

Back