• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

aquasoil,ammonia and algae

plantnoob

the more i read about ada aquasoil , the more tempted i am to use it . but the ammonia in the 1st few weeks concerns me a little . does the ammonia being leeched leave you more open to algae attacks in the early stages ? is it better to wait until it stops leeching before planting ?

pretty much exactly how im going to set up . ive looked at costs of various substrates , and aquasoil doesnt work out half as expensive as i feared . plus given its reputation i would like to use it if its not going to make life harder with the leeching

Do plenty of water changes initially. After the initial leech period you will never have to worry about that again - unless you do something psychotic like add ammonia to your tank.

Cheers,

no ammonia is being added :) say 3x 50% waterchanges a week enough initially?

Hi,
I'd do 50% every day for the first week, slowing down to every other day 2nd week, 3rd day 3rd week and then regular 50% per week routine changes from there on.
Cheerio,
Ady

Hi . I know this is an old thread but since my doubt is somewhat relevant to the topic discussed i thought i could put my question here.:oops: I am planning on a new non co2 set up with the ADA amazonia. Since we try to avoid regular water changes with non co2 set ups, I presume we cycle the soil first. My question is how long does it usually take to cycle the amazonia if i do twice daily 100% water change?

Hi Faizal,
Sediments take about 6-8 weeks to fully mature. It doesn't really matter whether it's Amazonia or kitty litter.

Cheers,

Nice article in here.
However the article states that Amazonia Aquasoil does not lower the PH in aquarium bellow 6.6-6.8.
My last experience with New Amazonia was quite different. New Amazonia have lowered the PH in my tank down to 5.2. Even today over two months after start up I can not get the PH above 6.3 no matter what.

That was not the case with the older Amazonia types.

I wish everything in ADA articles was somewhat more accurate.
Their parameters seem to fluctuate as the weather forecast.

Back