• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Aquasoil?

StevenA

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2008
Messages
512
Location
Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire.
I'm looking at using ADA Aquasoil in my next tank, but am unsure what type to get :? I definately want Amazonia, but normal, or Amazonia II, or even the powder types, Im really not sure. Is there any real difference in the normal and the II? And also what would people recomend, normal or powder? It'll only be in a 20L, But I might use it in the future in a larger tank :D
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
11,425
Location
London
Get normal, I have amazonia II and its turns to dust if you mess about with the tank often for planting, lucky enough I have it in my shrimp tank that I hardly touch in terms of planting.
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,483
Location
newark notts.
i didnt find much difference between malaya and amazonia TBH i cant comment on the amazonia II as ive not used it.

i've also found in my MA scape HC loves dust or broken down substrate. i think this is why amano use the powder form. i wouldn't of believed it if i hadn't seen it myself.
 

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,079
Location
Cambridgeshire
Tourney said:
I definately want Amazonia, but normal, or Amazonia II, or even the powder types, Im really not sure. Is there any real difference in the normal and the II?

I'd personally choose Amazonia over Amazonia II.

This makes an interesting read from one of the biggest users of ADA products...

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... ia-ii.html

The Powder type is more suitable for nanos and is easier to plant into for very delicate root structures i.e. HC, glosso, UG etc. It's identical in all other aspects, except grain size.
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
I use Amazonia powder. It is great for planting in, especially for the likes of HC and HM.

Dave.
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
11,425
Location
London
Dave Spencer said:
I use Amazonia powder. It is great for planting in, especially for the likes of HC and HM.

Dave.
How big is the tank Dave?? cheers
 

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,079
Location
Cambridgeshire
Tourney said:
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it :D Are there any similar realistic alternatives to ADA aquasoil then? Just out of curiosity really ;)
There's Oliver Knott's new substrate and JBL are bringing out a similar product soon, I believe. I've not heard of any feedback regarding these products - yet.

It will be interesting to see how they perform compared with Aqua Soil. Apparently they don't leech ammonia, so are more user-friendly for some. Whether or not they are as rich in nutrients will also be interesting to hear.

Red Sea's Flora Base is similar too and has been out for a good few years.

Here's are some photos, for your interest.

ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia


ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia Powder


Red Sea Florabase
redseaflorabase.jpg
 

StevenA

Member
Thread starter
Joined
30 Jan 2008
Messages
512
Location
Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire.
Thanks George that's a great help mate. I do have Akadama in one of my small tanks, and I really like the look of that, but I really want to use a dark substrate in this next one so the aquasoil would be ideal, just wondered if there is anything similar that might be worth a try :D Off to do some more research.
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
LondonDragon said:
Dave Spencer said:
I use Amazonia powder. It is great for planting in, especially for the likes of HC and HM.

Dave.
How big is the tank Dave?? cheers

Sorry for the late reply....my internet is only available to me at work at the mo.

I use it in all my tanks, basically. It is just so easy to plant in, not that normal sized Amazonia isn`t.

I will see what Oliver Knott comes up with, but I don`t feel any need to use anything other than Amazonia powder as a fertile substrate, alongside sand or fine gravel.

Dave.
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
11,425
Location
London
Dave Spencer said:
Sorry for the late reply....my internet is only available to me at work at the mo.

I use it in all my tanks, basically. It is just so easy to plant in, not that normal sized Amazonia isn`t.

I will see what Oliver Knott comes up with, but I don`t feel any need to use anything other than Amazonia powder as a fertile substrate, alongside sand or fine gravel.

Dave.
Better late than never Dave ;)
So you use it as a top layer? or you always cap it with sand or gravel?
Just curious as I would prefer to use a finer grain in my 54l tanks that I will be getting soon.
Many thanks
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
LondonDragon said:
So you use it as a top layer? or you always cap it with sand or gravel?
Just curious as I would prefer to use a finer grain in my 54l tanks that I will be getting soon.
Many thanks

I never put anything under or over it, and I don`t think we are supposed to. Not to say that it can`t, or hasn`t been done. My 120cm and up and coming 60cm both have Amazonia powder where the plants are, and sand or gravel where they ain`t, for effect. It is a nice enough looking substrate in its own right.

Dave.
 
Top