• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic Lichen - any such thing?

sWozzAres

I've had a image in my head for some time now, involves my tank with a giant rock in the middle, surrounded by grassey stuff with the rock covered in moss.

Last week I got around to setting this up and bought some moss balls because well, its called moss, only to discover it's not moss. I don't much like the look of it and as far as I can tell it doesnt stick to rock! What I am really after is yellow moss that grows and spreads out, but after looking around the internet it doesn't seem like there is such a thing?

So now I am wondering about lichen. It's probably a silly idea but the land variety comes in all sorts of colours! :D Since I've never seen nor heard of this stuff in a fish tank I suspect there is no such thing so I am throwing it out there to see if any of the knowledgable people over at UKAPS can help me out.

Any help much appreciated...

fissidens fontanus is the only thing i can really think of, google it.

if you kept it regularly trimmed i imagine it would adopt a lichen appearance.

Actually I have seen an aquatic lichen. Its red and virtually flat. Andy at The Greenmachine has some in his tank. A friend of his passed it to him, and now he can never get rid of it. I took a sample in a jar and killed it with easy carbo, so it is disposable. From what Andy tells me, it gets every where, creeping and contaminating his rocks.

Cheers.

I took one pebble off him to see if we could get rid of it. Andy loves it, but it takes over and covers all his rocks. Just think how annoying it would be to have great looking rock turn red! Thats why I wanted to see if I could get rid of it.

Cheers.

I wouldnt struggle with that problem, i like it when my rocks get over run, be it with moss or various kinds of algae :)

Just think how annoying it would be to have great looking rock turn red!

Oh red rocks great :D .. if you have time post a photo of this alien creature.

wearsbunnyslippers said:
check out liverworts, you get some that grow very similar to lichen...
Where there any in particular you were thinking of?

I 'd be curious to know what liverworts people have kept (or are keeping and want to swap).
I have kept...

lomariopsis lineata
ricchardi chamydryfolia
riccia fluitans
monoselenium tenerum
blepharastoma sp.

Would also like some of this red lichen if anyone has any spare.
I would keep it in a separate pico tank so as not to get 'infested'

Back