• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic Plant Cultivation

Jaap

Hello,

living in a country where the sun is plenty, I thought I could give growing emersed aquatic plants a shot. I know I will be needing these:
1. net pots
2. some sort of substrate (don't know how the cotton like material is called)
3. a small greenhouse
4. A large container filled with water
5. Macro and Micro nutrients to be added to the water just like EI
6. A pump to circulate the water around the container

Any tips or suggestions on the matter?
Will the high summer temperatures (40 degrees Celsius) melt/kill the plants?

I am doing this so I can have plants for my use but if this works I might as well do it to so I can sell to my local pet shops.

What do you think?

Thanks

Plenty of sun and a greenhouse! sounds wonderful. :D

I would think temperature control and shading would be your number one priority in such an environment and it might even be more difficult than it would be if you were living in a more temperate climate.

Still it's well worth giving it a go.. good luck:thumbup:

Harry.

Wouldn't a misting spray system work?
To stop leaves from drying out.

I think you are right Nathaniel, the main thing would be though not to spray/mist in direct sunlight and especially so if foliage feeding as this would obviously 'burn' the leaves.But a mist spray sounds great if shade can be guaranteed.

It will be definitely very hot during the summer months so would it be best if the small greenhouse received direct sunlight only for a few hours in the morning and then shade? 5 hours of direct sunlight is enough? How will I avoid the high temps and still get light though...

So do you have plenty of opening windows/vents?? Even in not so sunny England (you don't say where you are) I open all windows fully and also the door on warm sunny days. Shading of the glass is essential and this can be done by using a liquid shading product or 'netting' type material.

Actually morning sun can be far too strong in a Greenhouse and I would not have full sun shining in at all. The greenhouse gets very warm even when shaded and usually there would be plenty of light without letting in full sun. It's just a case of experimenting until you get it right.

Harry.

Back