• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatoon

It's displaying quite a distinct saddle, it will only be ready to mate when it decides to moult and allow a male to get close enough (providing there is a male and it is mature), this will only happen if the water conditions are right. Watch and wait!

Thank you Toon. Coincidentally, I found a shed of hers yesterday afternoon, could tell by the markings. I'll keep a weather eye. Haven't seen either male (I have a pair of reds as well) in a couple of days. They can sure hide out. Did a 40% water change yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

The Bucephalandras for the New Tank have arrived!

Black Gaia
15587614463_075a6404cc_k.jpg

Cherry Red
16181602986_d9082b308f_k.jpg

Pink Lady
16021375939_3a3390e635_k.jpg

Black Phantom
16207480745_883d802b7e_k.jpg

Brownie Ghost (Upper Stream)
16207486935_3bb7546d9c_k.jpg

To get an idea of the scale the bag dimensions are 90mm x 130mm

I need to work out where they will go in the new tank, haven't done the hardscaping yet so I can work that round these little beauties.

:)

Nice Looking tank Rob.

Loving the Buces, where did ya source those?

Right here on the forums, Xmas 4+1 offer from FreshwaterShrimp, one of the forum sponsors.

Rather than take the chance and leave them in the bags until I'm ready to scape with them (maybe more than a few days) I tied them up on pot weights with fishing bait elastic, I added a cable tie also to allow me to lift them out and move them about without having to put much more than my fingers in the tank. Here they are at the front of my LoTech Planted CRS tank (not the Anubia walled tank).

16021561210_4a40f0ca0c_k.jpg

16207050461_6e1bc11b47_k.jpg

16021574090_fbbc77ebc9_k.jpg

Left to right + back row = Black Phantom - Brownie Ghost (Upper Stream) - Black Gaia - Pink Lady + Cherry Red

I probably should have used a pencil to write on the pot weights what they were because they'll get mixed up at some point, at least I've got the out the bag photos for reference.

Liking the colours so far, the CRS in there are enjoying the free Biofilm/Algae meal on the leaves so hopefully they will be nice and cleaned up in no time!

They certainly look better than in the bags! Very interesting, now I know why you got them. Have you ever been to Borneo ? (I think that's where they're from)

No never been to Borneo but seen a lot of it watching David Attenborough on TV. I imagine these will not be the last Buces I buy.

These interesting specimens came via CO2Art, spotted them in the plant list, never seen them before, didn't know anything about them so bought three! Stuck 2 in the main tank and one in the walled tank, came back a couple of minutes later and the shrimps were literally going bananas over Bananas (Nymphoides Aquatica).

16222893031_413662f64e_k.jpg

15602347004_914a882203_k.jpg

16037244988_d3161cf69d_k.jpg

The one in the Anubia walled tank looks like a Christmas tree!

15602365844_77dae33edf_k.jpg

16038660039_0ddafeac2e_k.jpg

I wasn't really after more plants, impulse buy whilst shopping for these beauties!

16039155659_367d0e7d01_k.jpg

Took both of them immediately down the road to get them filled up, £10 each, nearly a kilo of gas per cylinder after filling (dry weight 1.17kg, 2.1kg filled). Lost the yellow plastic nozzle safety caps that came with them when I picked them back up after being filled, noticed they'd replaced them with nice screw on metal ones, bonus!

16199372366_fac7cee0ae_k.jpg

For curiosities sake this is what the nozzle looks like with the safety cap off.

16037760498_a5b4f283cf_k.jpg

2kg capacity cylinders would have been more preferable but I couldn't find any, these are nice and shiny though! On the plus side at least I've halved my gas bill compared to using sodastream and those nice valves take the scare factor and urgency out of a bottle change when compared to changing a soda stream one (old co2art adapter no valve).

Gas ran out on the soda stream today only lasted 14 days this time instead of 20 so I definately shouldn't have touched the needle valve last bottle change. Time to test new waters so swapped over the single stage reg feeding the main tank onto the new UP bottle and stuck my new dual stage reg onto the near empty soda stream bottle for testing, also to see if it all fits in the cabinet together, luckily it does.

15610965654_00a1d087f3_k.jpg

The extra bottle pressure on the UP (1800psi) compared to Sodastream (500psi) and having a knackered second gauge means I'm not sure it's giving me correct readings, on the soda stream the second gauge used to read 20psi (should be 50 but after the dial got bent it only read 20 thereafter), now it's up at 80psi, it's gonna be a few days to sort this out, pH drop after gas on tomorrow should tell me if I'm near where I should be on this new cylinder.

If I could have results like this frequently, I would be delighted. Going to use the light on my next endeavor–another Fluval Flora tank. But first I have to complete my Spec V dry start project. The plants have been in for a month and I have yet to decide on background plants. A week or three maybe.

Hi Rob

It's a 28 Litre Aquastart 320. Its a 5 year old tank that's been through quite a journey, always had plants but only properly scaped since the beginning of last year when I added co2, never made a journal for scaping it, just slipped it in here on my Aquatoon thread.

Smaller than it appeared. I am staying under 30 myself. I find them much easier to work with as I bring all my water (R/O) in from the store for weekly water changes, and I can work sitting down mostly.
In addition to the SpedV and Flora, I have another Flora tank coming in soon, so have another opportunity to work on my landscaping skills. My wife will kill me if I continue to accumulate. She doesn't know about the new tank.

Here's the just filled SpecV with two ottos testing the waters:
Zm8wON.jpg
LLNRkm.jpg
...and the Tree of Life, the Flora (see the shrimp) they came out of hiding
Rob

Last edited:
Back