Arc 20L Nano tank, Couple of queries

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by durtydurty, 8 Aug 2008.

1. durtydurty

durtydurty Member

Okay, just bought one of these beauties for keeping a dwarf puffer or shrimps. ( still cant decide )

It has a internal filter etc with a spray bar attachment, Do I need to use the spray bar attachment? or is it okay just pushing the water out into the tank randomly

Im guessing you cycle it like you would any tank but on a smaller scale?

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

spray bars are said to spread the circulation of the water better but experiment, it might be different on a smaller tank.

cycle is always the same!

3. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

You may find the little internal inadequate to be honest. I had an Aquacube and replaced the filter with a HOB. To be honest that wasn't really good enough and will use an old Fluval 203 if I set it up again.

4. durtydurty

durtydurty Member

If I was keeping just shrimps not puffers would the filter still need to be upgraded?

I dont think I habe the time to look after a dwarf puffer properly.

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

what Ed is trying to say is in planted tanks we usually use a high turnover of about 10x to push the CO2 and nutrietns around the tank effectively and there will be no dead spots or detrius build up which lessens the chance of algae.

6. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Yes that's it exactly, but the filter also needs to be over-rated to convert any ammonia produced by fish, dead plants etc. to nitrate as soon as possible as this is a major trigger of algae.

7. durtydurty

durtydurty Member

I may not go for heavily planted just a few plants and moss to keep the shrimp occupied, kinda low maintainence

Its for my bedside table so dont have the room for lots of externals and extra bits.

8. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

As you've got the internal give it a go and see what happens! You can always change it if you're not happy with it! :D

9. durtydurty

durtydurty Member

The internal is fairly flimsy and moving it last night I managed to spray the wall with water.....Which was nice.

The light electric lead is really long but the filter one is alot shorter which causes problems, the design in my mind wasnt overly well thought out.

Just got to find some plants now which I can use in there.