• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Arcadia OT2 4 tube T5 Freshwater Luminaire tube replacement options?

andyone

Hi Folks

Its been a while since I asked for help and a search hasn't provided much info.

My stock of Arcadia replacement fluorescent 850mm T5 tubes are at an end and I'm struggling to find any replacements which is a shame as the unit works fine. I'm not finding either any equivalent T5 850mm LED options or maybe I'm looking in the right place?

So can anyone point me in the direction of a UK supplier? Or
Is it time to retire the unit and go for a new LED set up?

A can of worms I hear you say!

The tank is a 10 year old set that's morphed from high tech to low. Deep bed of Amazonia soil, heavy fish stock, no ferts other than weekly trace, a little (CO2 2/sec) and occasional water changes. The waste is managed by removing plant growth. Fish are fed twice/day. Not the usual approach for some but its attractive and works for me with minimal algae with a range of not too demanding plants.

Thanks

Andy

iquatics,Swell and,Warehouse Aquatics these might be worth a look.Giessman ?the German company still do a Flora tube l think,Try All Things Aquatic,,Complete Aquatics, the Lightbulb Company they used to do very cheap daylight bulbs which give a nice look with a tropical tube
Arcadia seem to be going toward the reptile market which is disappointing but still LED retrofit is the future

Hi Folks

Its been a while since I asked for help and a search hasn't provided much info.

My stock of Arcadia replacement fluorescent 850mm T5 tubes are at an end and I'm struggling to find any replacements which is a shame as the unit works fine. I'm not finding either any equivalent T5 850mm LED options or maybe I'm looking in the right place?

So can anyone point me in the direction of a UK supplier? Or
Is it time to retire the unit and go for a new LED set up?

A can of worms I hear you say!

The tank is a 10 year old set that's morphed from high tech to low. Deep bed of Amazonia soil, heavy fish stock, no ferts other than weekly trace, a little (CO2 2/sec) and occasional water changes. The waste is managed by removing plant growth. Fish are fed twice/day. Not the usual approach for some but its attractive and works for me with minimal algae with a range of not too demanding plants.

Thanks

Andy
Well to add some speculation and observation to this the "odd size" tubes (not 1200,600mm) have been becoming hit and miss for awhile..
Now the "the ban" on all commercial t5's with the apparent exception of UV producing lights and tubes for coral aquaculture with a blue content exceeding.. errr something not looking white, things may not get very much better in the long run.
I'm not a fan of current retrofits either. Either low output or short lifespan or poor color or need to rewire or higher cost/watt anyways I don't see the advantage.
If one wants to keep hoods well another story. You just need to accept any (possible, theoretical?) limitations.

soo aquarium specific bulbs that aren't "blue" may become quite scarce. Now I'm not sure of the EXACT wording of the euro ban and how it relates to all "specialty" t5's but I believe the above assumption may be accurate. I know it is of California which probably mirrors the euro one. The speculation part.
ATI insists t5s will be around but like I pointed out not sure about freshwater specialty colors. Things like 6500k, 5000k,4000k ect should be gone when stocks run out.

The above is open to corrections if anyone has a better grasp on all of this. It would be appreciated.
Oh there are medial and industrial exceptions but don't apply here really.

Thanks for the feedback.

Very disappointing that there seems to be only one supplier as above on e bay offering 850mm T5 fluorescent I suspect last of their stock. The LED equivalent are eye watering in price (£45 EACH = £190 delivered) so I'm buying 4 tubes (£6.40 EACH = £30 delivered) on the basis that its likely the fitting will be baked next time and the whole unit will need replacing at which point LED may be a better cost option and offer better reliability and output.

Just means I will have 4 all the same rather than my current mix of tubes.

Where's the cost saving as individual to warrant a change to LED? Seems like more stick than carrot!

Thanks for the feedback.

Very disappointing that there seems to be only one supplier as above on e bay offering 850mm T5 fluorescent I suspect last of their stock. The LED equivalent are eye watering in price (£45 EACH = £190 delivered) so I'm buying 4 tubes (£6.40 EACH = £30 delivered) on the basis that its likely the fitting will be baked next time and the whole unit will need replacing at which point LED may be a better cost option and offer better reliability and output.

Just means I will have 4 all the same rather than my current mix of tubes.

Where's the cost saving as individual to warrant a change to LED? Seems like more stick than carrot!
Well.. you could always add a "reef' tube for color..

Aquablue special can compliment neutral or warm tubes.
Of course..

ATI Aquablue Special T5 Tube 39w - In Stock

Price: £21.93 (Including VAT at 20%)
Only need 1 out of 4 say 6500k tubes.

I would imagine many of the light companies will still have stocks of grolux
Hungary does.. ;)

Interestingly enough I noticed some GE bulbs labelled "Made in Hungary"

Back