• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are Hang on Back filters sufficient?

Jaap

Hello,

Are hank on back filters good? I mean if I have a 40L tank and I use a HOB filter that is 450 L/h will this satisfy my distribution needs or are they not preferable?

Thanks

for low tech tanks HOBs are great as the outlet provides as high gas exchange. I have a 200L/h one in my 28L nano and it provides nice steady circulation all over the tank. They'll probably do for a hightech tank as well, better than an internal maybe not as good as a canister. The biggest pro they have over canister filters is probably cost.

Sorry I forgot to mention that it was intended for a high tech tank....

Hi
if you are injecting CO2, the extra aeration provided by a HOB filter might not be a good idea as it will drive CO2 out of the water at a higher rate

eheim has some very nice external filters for nano tanks, some chinese manufacturers as well

Look out for second hand filters too on ebay or gumtree or whatever. Can get a good external at a fraction of new price if you keep your eyes peeled.

Back