• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Assassin Snail & Reproduction.

spyder

I aquired 2 of these fellas a couple of months locally with a batch of cherry shrimp although I think 1 was bagged as an empty shell so only 1 snail when I got them home. I recently aquired another 4 from a board member around 10 days ago.

When introduced, my original snail hung onto 1 on the new ones for around 3 days depositing eggs around the tank. In fact "Sniper" the original is still hanging onto one of the new additions. A week later I have counted close to 25 eggs scattered on plant stems, internal filter and heater. I have also spotted 2 young snails around 2-4mm long with stripey markings visable on the larger snail. With the tank well planted there are a lot of areas I cannot see so I presume there are more. The eggs, as described in a recent thread are like a pale browny colour encased in a clear, square jelly like case.

My online research into the breeding habits seem to say they are slow breeders, only laying a few eggs here and there and the youngsters take a fair amount of time to hatch and then grow slowly. Within 10 days I have at least 2 young snails and 25+ eggs.

Is this normal or do I have some rather randy snails on my hands?

Back