• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Astrobiology - Ancient Mars History - A Temporal Biotope

[UWSL]hydrophyte[/UWSL], you are doing something unbelievable here!​

Being a teenager I was impressed by Ray Bradbury's novel "The Martian Chronicles''. I saw myself as a Mars researching scientist, I tried to imagine the Martian nature penetrating ours and turned my attention and energy to the mysterious world under our feet. I took some part time jobs to collect money and buy a magnifying glass and some big 3 litre glass jars. Then I did many exploration trips to a forest and fields nearby to collect specimens of many species of mosses and lichens. I kept that collection in glass jars for a couple of years, watched mosses grow through the magnifying glass, drew sketches and made notes in my diary. I imagined myself a Mars explorer, LOL...
Later I moved to another region, my diaries and sketches were lost , and now I have only warm memories of those beautiful times of miracles. Thank you for this bitter-sweet feeling of nostalgia.
When I came across your thread here I was unpleasantly surprised with the improper use of the term "biotope" in regard to the bacteria inhabited terrarium. Now after a full dive into it I want to start a similar project myself.

You are doing a fantastic research in this mesmerizing bacteria world. Your ideas and DIY equipment are something beyond even my imagination!

Btw, I missed the point of atmosphere in the bacteria biotope: is it the same as in your environment or do you "cook" it to be closer to the Martian?

Back