• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

audouinellas ?? help

Jaydip

Seedling
Looks like some audouinellas to me..can anybody please confirm..Its hard and not able remove it by simple rubbing .Spot treatment with EXCEL also looks less effective here-
pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=69626&title=AlG1c.jpg

This is a species of what we around here call BBA - Black Brush Algae. These are all belonging to the Red Algae group.

BBA is typically caused by any combination of low CO2 and poor CO2 stability, so that's where you need to investigate and you should remove as much of the affected leaves as possible.

There are hundreds of threads in this section addressing BBA.

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg!! In my tank i am usuing only Excel.So do you think only reason of this Algae is Fluctuation of CO2 level ?so what do you suggest to keep the Steady CO2 level in Excel based tank ?

Excel = CO2
So if your addition of Excel is insufficient or unreliable then yes, naturally this will result in BBA. Excel is normally used to eradicate BBA so if you're experiencing BBA while using Excel then this points to some fundamental error.

It is assumed that an Excel only tank is dosed daily, ideally prior to lights on.
It is assumed that Excel only tank is dosed at 2X-3X the bottle recommended dose.
It is assumed that the light intensity is within reason for an Excel only tank.
It is assumed that weekly water changes of 50% or more is being done.

If any of these assumptions are not valid than adjustments should be made.

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg, The tank was on the daily bottle recommended dose only.So you are correct that co2 is less.However tank is now over six monts with same excel dose but this is the first time i am getting this BBA.
Some recent introduction of plants in foreground created some disturbance in substrate layer and triggered staghorn.After treating those with Spot excel stoghorn now under control but I am getting those BBA.

If your tank has matured and you have also introduced additional plants, then I believe you would need to increase your CO2 as there will be a higher demand.

Back