• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Autotopups

john arnold

Hi

looking for as small as possible looking one of these the H2ocean looks pretty discreet any one got preference or a defo dont get one of those comments

cheers

The tunze nano looks good wonder if 240 l tsnk would be pushing it as it says between 100-200L

I think you'd be fine. The pumps on these top ups aren't meant to be run for long periods but an extra 40l volume won't make any difference plus generally they are used on marine systems which lose much more water due to heat, etc, so when you use it, it won't be coming on as much. For example I had the larger Tunze unit on my 1000 litre marine system and in the height of summer I could lose 7-8 litres of water a day!

Tunze systems are good quality too

Only negative with pretty much all auto tops up is the pumps can be a little noisy. Nothing too bad but you will hear it, although the frequency of the pump coming on will be minimal

looking for as small as possible looking one of these the H2ocean looks pretty discreet any one got preference or a defo dont get one of those comments
Just as I though; there's a company in the UK called D-D The Aquarium Solution who seemingly have a tendency to buy up the distribution rights of products/brands in the UK, increase the price slightly then sometimes rebrand certain products under one of their own brands, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this by any means as they often buy them up as they are of a good quality. Two other more recent examples are Schego and Jecod,

The AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro and H2Ocean compact auto top-up seem so very similar, this YouTube review even shows the layout within the packaging/box exactly the same.
On a review front I've got several AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro which fitted the criteria of something where I could fit a sensor to the display, keep a minimal waterline etc. At the time they were the only option I could find and so far they've worked so stuck with them.
Negatives would be:
-The magnet not really strong enough to hold the sensor in place with 10mm glass, let alone the advertised 12.5mm
-A blue light on the sensor to indicate it's on
Providing you keep the optical sensor clean then I think this could be an option worth considering if it's within budget, especially it's the display you want to fit the sensor to.

If, however you have a sumped system then I completely agree with @Fisher2007 about the Tunze brand. I had a Tunze one which had both optical and float sensors on marine aquarium a few years ago.

That said I don't know what else is out there at the moment so just based on my personal experience.

There are also some more budget friendly gravity fed ones but I'm not overkeen on the idea.

Some people build their own but again think that depends on budget and display/sump.

Back