• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Back after a break - plants for a nano

zoon

After about 5 years without a tank, my 8 year old son goes out with his grandparents and wins a goldfish at a fair. He returns with a tiny bowl and the resulting panic has rekindled my passion for the hobby. Goldfish is now in a bigger tank (unfortunately no fishless cycle as cycling the tank with the fish in and frequent water changed seems less cruel than goldfish in a tiny bowl). It’ll get a couple of friends when the filter is mature - if anyone near Maidstone in Kent has a filter they wouldn’t mind me having a squeeze of, it’d be much appreciated!

Anyway, I’ve since “aquired” a Fluval spec 19l tank. I used to have 600l and 150l planted tanks. Both low tech. The 600l was an incredible success and was stunning, but the smaller tank had algae issues and the plants never grew very much. I think there was too much light, but ferts and liquid carbon didn’t help much and I got frustrated and gave the tank away.

So my plans for the spec are a piece of bog wood I am hoping will fit (it will be chopped down to fit if not!), some sort of aquatic soil (mainly cause I prefer the look - will it cause algae issues if I don’t have any rooting plants in it?) sand in non-planted areas, a java fern mini that I hope will grow into a centre piece in top right corner, various Anubias and maybe some crypts. I’m hoping the light will be low enough to be able to run low tech, but happy to add ferts and liquid carbon if necessary. Don’t want to do dry ferts this time though, so feel free to recommend a good quality bottled all in one fertiliser.

Plant to have a small shoal of chilli rasbora and some shrimp/possibly Pygmy corys (although think they’ll give too large a bioload for the tank with a shoal of them and shoal of chillis). Maybe an apple/mystery snail if I can aquire some (they can go into larger goldfish tank when they get took big for nano)

Feeling a bit unsure of myself as not had a tank for so long. The goldfish really weren’t cutting it for me - my son insisted on a submarine ornament and luminous plastic plants

Any advice on the plants for a low tech nano? And how to avoid algae in a small tank - system will be less stable than the 600l I was used to!

I think you have the right ingredients for a low tech nano though personally I would suggest you dont need the planting substrate if your going with the plants you have suggested. The crypts may need a root tab in the sand but that's all. I tend to try and keep things really simple in low tech tanks and limit nutrients and light quite a bit. I have a 4 hour lighting duration on a similar tank for example, dose a few drops of the aquascaper complete liquid plant food every week and that's it. You may also wish to consider adding a fast growing stem plant or floating plant to your list to remove any excess nutrients. I'm sure others will have lots more advice to give too...

Aquatic soil should be fine - as it’s mostly aesthetic, I’d choose Tropica over ADA re ammonia release, and a powder version for the fine grain size
(really choose any brand that appeals to you)
Crypts will certainly be happy with AS

Is this a Spec 19 with new or old LED light?
(I rather prefer the older version for aesthetics, and it’s very suited to slower growth, low tech ... but the new version is sleeker ;))

I like Tropica fertilizers, I use Premium & Specialized as tap water is very soft - I prefer to limit water column nutrients so use less Specialized (macro) ... but choose one that’s readily available & suits (I’d suggest a fertilizer brand from a plant tech company over a general trader such as Hagen/Fluval)

The filtration on the Spec 19 is fantastic, hard to overload this as long as suitable sized fish & reasonable feeding/maintenance routine
(So yes you likely could do a shoal of pygmy cory and Chili rasbora & some small shrimp/snails for plant tidy - Apple snails get big fast when fed properly so that would be couple months at most - clithon species are likely the most suited long term, smaller cherry or RCS or tiger shrimps rather than japonica behemoth :D)

Last Spec 19 low tech I ran with clithon snails, few shrimp, small shoal of rocket killi (females are much smaller than males)
S subulata
H quadricostatus
H zosterfolia
M mattogrossense
Anubias gracilis (small specimen)
few other bits of plants
For whatever reason this tank had no visible algae (ever) despite erratic water change, fertilizer, light schedule etc
It was heavily planted from the start (mostly 1-2-grow & some trimmings from other tanks)
Scape was designed for viewing tank from the narrow side down towards the filter - it was my favourite Spec 19 scape todate

It an old spec with the less powerful light. Unfortunately in white, as I really wanted a black one, but the price was too good to say no to.

Would love to see some pics of your spec if you have any

It an old spec with the less powerful light. Unfortunately in white, as I really wanted a black one, but the price was too good to say no to.
:lol:
Mine was white - I’ve always preferred the white on the old specs as feel it goes better with the frosted glass section

With that LED, plant range is greater with decent amount of ambient light
You can order the new LED as a replacement part (it’s not very expensive as long as shop doesn’t mark it up hugely)

Back