• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Back for another beasting!

Cheers!
Yes that bit would get lopped off and I’d blend it with the other bits to look natural. Looks crap at the moment I agree.

Just had a look at the last photo, in my mind the two rocks on the right with the overhanging wood could move to butt up against the large rocks on the left. This would give a more triangular layout.

In general the wood is good, the only piece or wood that looks out of place to me is the bit on the front left corner. For the straight cut piece, attack it with a sander and round it off to make it more natural.

Cheers @papa_c
Yes, I’m with you on that branch on the left and tweaked it yesterday. I’ll attach a photo below. I’m happier with the new position but not sure about the short 4” bend at the tip near the front left corner. I will tweak the angle a bit and see if that improves it. I expect plants will probably cover most of that section anyway.
As for moving the rocks on the right I’ll give it a go, sounds good. I was looking at it just now and thinking it was looking too much like a wide island layout. Off centre and lost. Your rock move could sort this.
Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• 1DEC69CC-0CD5-46DF-BC95-C4EBAAEA4498.jpeg
    1DEC69CC-0CD5-46DF-BC95-C4EBAAEA4498.jpeg
    856.4 KB · Views: 129
Better rock now
But
I still like the wood more in that bottom right pic ... it just had more to say :cool:

Don’t (over) worry about that flat end on the wood - easy to hide with moss or epiphytes
At present you wood will disappear as plants grow in, I tend to prefer wood that “stays” Layout 45 - Eduard Gercog - Tropica Aquarium Plants

Last edited:
Better rock now
But
I still like the wood more in that bottom right pic ... it just had more to say :cool:

Don’t (over) worry about that flat end on the wood - easy to hide with moss or epiphytes
At present you wood will disappear as plants grow in, I tend to prefer wood that “stays” Layout 45 - Eduard Gercog - Tropica Aquarium Plants
Thanks Alto.
I did wonder how visible it would be once planted. I do like scapes where the wood sticks up, I always seemed to struggle to get that to look natural with the pieces I have. I'll definitely have another play around though.
As a side note. I highly recommend NOT using old OSB plywood board for the hardscape mock up as I just brushed the edge of the box and slammed a splinter up the length of my fingernail. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply!

Had a tweak and am really liking the flow now with a couple of branches sticking up.

Attachments

• 781EAB47-00FA-476B-B28C-D107FB78B934.jpeg
    781EAB47-00FA-476B-B28C-D107FB78B934.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Been through quite a few options but keep coming back to pretty much the same layout apart from removing the root ball on the top left of the rocks. The rocks themselves aren’t optimal and have moved but it’s a fiddle keeping it all where you want it in the compost.
Anyways. Here’s possibly my final design bar a few tweaks in the actual setup. My main concern is that the central upright branch is too central. I’ve moved it left and right though and that’s the best place I can find for it so far.

Attachments

• 1AC38692-797D-4E34-8DEA-4593DA217C09.jpeg
    1AC38692-797D-4E34-8DEA-4593DA217C09.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
Cheers Alto.
Good video, great tips. Looks like I'm going to need to pop back to the shop to buy a few little support rocks. I'd totally forgotten about the soil coming down the slope and that balance tip sounds good.

Don’t forget that any unseen rocks can be anything - including the Smash Up pieces from your cast aside Big Stone ;)

Cheers! I'm tempted to get a few bits of light lava rock as I'm not sure how well the slate will stick. I'll def give it a test first though.

Back