• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Background and carpeting plants....

JAX3000

Hi,

I need 2 new plants and would like advice on which to choose.

I'm injecting co2, I have good flow and brights lights...

My background is made up of Amazon Swords and Cryptocoryne Balansae and another dark crypt which is right next to this corner. I need one final plant to finish off the back left corner that will grow up to about 30cm as that's where the inlet of a power head is and I don't want the plant getting sucked up. No stem plants please. I think I'd like something similar to the Amazon. Or Probably another crypt would do it, but I need to get the height right as it's an awkward position to keep pruning back. And it must "cover" the space behind it, so nice and dense...

Secondly, I have a very cute little bunch of very short grass at the front which is trying to spread into a little carpet, but it keeps coming up out of the sand. High flow, boisterous Cories and short roots = it ain't working out. Is there an alternative very short carpeting plant anybody can recommend or an alternative solution to my loose grass issue....?

Thanks 8)

As for the carpeting plant
Try
Pygmy chain sword
Or dwarf sagattaria

Thanks, but aren't they a bit tall? The current grass is like 1.5 inch. It doesn't have to he so tiny, but those 2 mentioned get pretty tall don't they?

Not really the dwarf sag has the potential to grow massive but can be trimmed and it will spread. As for the pygmy it also can be trimmed I planted my whole 55g a few weeks ago and some has reached around 3 inches but I haven't trimmed yet but will be next week

Both can be maintained to stay small

Also with co2 the pygmy will excellent as a carpet I've heard under high light it stays smaller also but I don't see how just trim to the height you want

Ghosty

Thanks Ghosty! Sold! I think I'll try the Pygmy Chain Sword... :) I'll post back with updates on how it goes.

How about some red crypt retrospiralis for BG and lileopsis brasilensis(a bit shorter than pygmy swords) for FG.
Marsileas, though not grasslike but stays pretty short and are very hardy FG plants.

Ooooh! I think I prefer the lilaeopsis brasilensis. Nice and short...

I don't think a red crypt would work as it'll be next to a broad leafed red crypt (which I've misplaced the name of...)

But lilaeopsis brasilensis is deffo the winner for the foreground for now...

Thanks. It's great to have a few options to choose from.

Tbh honest both the plants mentioned by us are more or less exactly the same one Brazilian sword the other pygmy chain sword. They both are around 2-6cm and both can be trimmed and grown to whatever size you want

However even the dwarf sag is a contendor for you just thicker leaves. I faced the same desicion of plants and opted for the best deal lol

Ghosty

Fair enough... I now have a plan a b and c... ;)

Can't wait to get it in. I only want a small area at the front carpeted for now, but I think it'll make a big difference and I'll enjoy watching the progress...

(If anybody told me when I grow up I'll spend all my time and money on a hobby which involves watching grass grow...!) ;)

Fair enough... I now have a plan a b and c... ;)

Can't wait to get it in. I only want a small area at the front carpeted for now, but I think it'll make a big difference and I'll enjoy watching the progress...

(If anybody told me when I grow up I'll spend all my time and money on a hobby which involves watching grass grow...!) ;)

haha that is so true, but depressing when said like that LOL

Back