• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Background plant suggestions please

JAX3000

Hi,

I've been struggling with (amongst other things!) my background plants for a long time now and I'd like to re-think altogether.

My current set up was designed for my lack of experience (and talent) and busy schedule work, baby, other kids... life!

At the moment I have Echinodorus Bleheri and Cryptocoryne Balansae across the back and other crypts, echinodorus and anubias elsewhere. The Swords don't quite reach the surface as I'd like them to and seem to be taking a kicking off my Bristlenoses, so I'm removing more leaves than I leave behind due to damage. The Balansae are nowhere to be seen, having been outgrown by the Swords they're left in the shadows and are still (after a long time... I mean ages) only a few inches tall.

So, besides feeding the BNs with lots of veg and hoping they leave the swords alone, I think I should rip out and start again... I really like the Balansae (they form the background in a display tank at my lfs and it looks great) but they never took off for me.

There must be a suitable, nice looking, easy (it MUST be easy!) taaaaall plant or two I can use to fill up my 2 foot deep background.

The tank is 110 x 55 x 60
7.5 pH (out the tap)
13 dGH (out the tap)
Co2 injection (I don't over do it, in case the fish don't like it, but the drop checker is green) I have 2 spray bars from 2 eheim 2075 filters across the back, each running about 1 - 1.5 bps. I run them off a splitter from an extinguisher.

Any suggestions would be very greatfully appreciated...

:)

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

The Crypt. crispatula'es (Crypt. crisp. var. balanceae is such one) tends to be slow starters. Look like they need to build a decent root-system, before growing successfully. "Ages" should not pass, though !!
If you still have them/want them again, I suggest adding root tabs. This will usually be very benefitial.

There are some big types of Cryptocoryne - 50, 60 or more cm. of hight - to consider instead of the bristle-nose food (= Echinodorus bleheri). Other types of Echonodorus are IME not so attractive to bristle-nose, as E. bleheri (= standard sword), by the way.
Crypt.s to consider are C. ustetiana (big) and C. aponogetifolia (very big). Those will benefit from root tabs, too.
Another option is the Aponogetons...........

Thanks Mick! Exactly what I needed! I'll take a look through these options tomorrow when I have time.

Do you have any photos of your echinodorus bleheri? I just got some the other day. Therebare photos of them in this section under "mother plants".

What ferteliser do you use?

Mick, Looking like I'm going to have a serious crypt jungle back there by the time I've finished... Thanks for the suggestions! They look spot on! :)

Derek, do you mean photos to identify the plant or to diagnose the problem? I don't have any of the mess they ended up in and I've now removed all the bad leaves (most of the leaves) What did you have in mind?

uploadfromtaptalk1449847291123.png

Derek, do you mean photos to identify the plant or to diagnose the problem? I don't have any of the mess they ended up in and I've now removed all the bad leaves (most of the leaves) What did you have in mind?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

It was to have a look at the damaged leaves.

Your fish are looking great. BHT are a favourite of mine.

Thanks, crap pic of the plants now I look at it. I'll get one tomorrow as the lights are going down now.

And yeah, they're gorgeous and I absolutely love them...! (The Bleeding Hearts)

Hygrophila Polysperma is very easy and grows very high. Also it looks very nice if you make it bushy and leafs at the taller parts of the plant (nearest water surface) becames light brown. It grows in almost every condition. Aquaessentials have them discounted now for £2.99 for a pot and they are from Aquafleur brand which is comparable with Tropica in quality.

Last edited:
Hygrophila Polysperma is very easy and grows very high. Also it looks very nice if you make it bushy and leafs at the taller parts of the plant (nearest water surface) becames light brown. It grows in almost every condition. Aquaessentials have them discounted now for £2.99 for a pot and they are from Aquafleur brand which is comparable with Tropica in quality.
Great! They look like another good choice. Thank you. What I'll do is, use these at the left rear, as I like the appearance of them and it's a nice contrast as I have leafy plants everywhere else... And I'll put the tall Crypts across the right rear as a sort of curtain bwhims to wood. I'll post pics of what I mean. If I want to fill up about 1.5 feet, how many tubs of this would you say I'll need, 3?

Oh and Derek, I forgot to say, I'm using EI dosing.

uploadfromtaptalk1450003735882.png
uploadfromtaptalk1450003747376.png
uploadfromtaptalk1450003755733.png

So here's a pic of one of the remaining swords and a close up,

Then a full tank shot (it's not looking it's best). I need to re do the whole rear, I need a nice new centrepiece plant to go behind where the Ram is, (just left of dead centre, slightly behind the rock) I tried an Echinodorus Magdalensis, but it was destroyed by the BNs and I need to re do the moss on the wood and spread it across the whole top of the wood. I've had terrible trouble with moss...! It just goes dark and falls apart...!!! Anyway, I think I'll start other threads on other issues. I need help! :)

uploadfromtaptalk1450009520124.png
uploadfromtaptalk1450009528419.png
uploadfromtaptalk1450009534140.png

Thought I'd add these, just for fun... For the Bleeding Heart Tetra Apreciation Society (Derek) ;)

I noticed they were showing off last night so I took a quick video and these are stills from that. Poor quality, but you get the idea...

View attachment 78998View attachment 78999View attachment 79000

Thought I'd add these, just for fun... For the Bleeding Heart Tetra Apreciation Society (Derek) ;)

I noticed they were showing off last night so I took a quick video and these are stills from that. Poor quality, but you get the idea...

I remember buying some a while back. When i was looking at them in the shop they looked drab and dull, but my mate said trust me. Im glad i did. They look fantastic.

love the bleeding heart tetra you got my friend" these are really colourful"" not like the one"s I see in shops!
is there another type of bleeding heart tetra? saw few of these in local shop and had almost all white top fin"

Thanks Jonny. I'm glad you like them.You can get a Flameback form of this species which has a wide bright red band on their back - this is not them. As far as I know these are just common Bleeding Heart Tetra. They do improve with age, so perhaps the ones you saw were just a bit too young to look their best. I know mine really colour up when they're in the mood. It just so happens that tonight, my dominant male "Elvis" who is not the biggest but who is the most colourful, the most aggressive and the one with the biggest dorsal fin (or quiff, hence the name) is sparring with a rival. They look stunning, but don't stay still long enough to take a decent photo, so this is the best I can do. See the black edges to their fins? That's not always there, only when they are really going for it. I do love these fish and highly recommend them.
uploadfromtaptalk1450481806165.png
uploadfromtaptalk1450481826347.png
uploadfromtaptalk1450481839757.png
uploadfromtaptalk1450481858575.png

I have 15 litres of this...

uploadfromtaptalk1450525050721.jpg

...under a thick layer of Unipac Limpopo Black Sand.

Back